Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Paying for the quilting >

Paying for the quilting

Paying for the quilting

Old 12-13-2011, 05:43 AM

I usually take my quilts to a local LA quilter, and it usually runs between $175-$200, depending on how much quilting she does. I usually do my own bindings, but she would do that (for an extra fee) if I asked her to. The prices you quoted seem pretty reasonable to me. It would take me waaaay longer to get it done than it takes her, so i am happy to pay for the convenience.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM

I take my quilts to a local LA quilter, and that is about the prices she charges. I do several quilts in a year, but she gets them done waaay faster that I could, so it is worth it to me. I usually sew the bindings myself, but she woud do it (for an extra fee) if I asked her to. All in all, if your wife is happy with the quilt, then it was a good deal. It will last for many years to come, so it evens out in the end.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:48 AM

Ooops, sorry, didn't realize I double posted.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 AM

I also just finished my first quilt. I've sent it out to be quilted. I provided the back, and the woman doing it provides the batting and quilts it for a penny and a half a square inch. When it comes back, I'll do the binding.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 AM

As a longarmer, I can tell you that $170 is about average for a queen size quilt. I charge anywhere from 1.25 cents a square inch to 2.50 cents a square inch. You said her quilt had applique on it, so I probably would have charged 2.50 cents a square inch for quilting it. There is always a seperate charge for binding the quilts. I personally charge $5.00 for each 42" strips that goes around the quilt. Most queens take 10 strips. So if your wife only paid $30.00 that is a pretty good price. It normally takes 8 - 10 hours to put a binding on a queen size quilt. I hope this helps for future quilting projects.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM

I think the price of the quilting depends a lot on how dense and intricate and it is. A larger, overall pattern would be cheaper than having it done with customized preferences.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:41 AM

If you work for someone how much do you expect to earn per hour? Quilting is a labor intensive business. I just finished a quilt for someone, twin size with some custom work. The charge was $150.00. It took 7-8 hours to complete and the charge included the cost of thread. It came to about $15.00 per hour (=-). Lots of people enjoy the process of putting the top together but find the quilting part too difficult or time consuming to manage. Maybe she will develop the skills to quilt her own quilts as time passes but for starters needs to have them quilted professionally. Maybe putting her own binding on would be a good place to start.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:51 AM

I have never sent my quilt out to be finished, I always do my own, so I can't be much help on that aspect. But she can quilt her own, it is pretty easy, time consuming, but not difficult. You got some good suggestions here for local quilt classes (does she know anyone who quilts their own?), You Tube, etc.. I just do my own because I enjoy the process.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

I'll let you decide if your wife paid too much. Here is what I would charge for basic panto or meander on a pieced quilt with some applique:
This will be for a queen size quilt measuring 90" x 90" square.

90x 90= 8100 sq inches
my charge is 2.5 cents per sq in for a quilt that is applique...you can't do basic meander on an appliqued quilt...at least not totally...you have to echo each applique...and then quilt around that.
So,
8100 x .025=$202.50, and that is just to quilt it.

Binding by machine:
370" of binding
(90x4=360, plus a few inches for the mitered corners)

I charge 15 cents per linear inch to machine apply the binding
370 x .15= 54.00

Hand sewing I charge 25 cents per inch-
370 x .25= $92.50

Sounds like a lot...but you have to understand, it takes a lot of time to hand sew a binding on. You first have to make the binding, then you have to sew to one side, making the mitered corners, then turn the binding to the wrong side and either machine or hand stitch the binding down.

Since I don't know the size of your wife's quilt...you can use the above (which is at the low end of the spectrum) to figure out if the pricing was fair.

I'd say it was more than fair.
Marge

Originally Posted by KellyAustin View Post
Hi all, I'm new here! My wife is just getting into quilting and she is trying to find some advice.

She finished the applique and front patterns on her first quilt (queen size) and it looks really great. She bought the batting and the fabric for the back.

She decided to pay someone to quilt it together into the final product. She was quoted $170. Now it is finished and the final amount was adjusted to $200 because the binding had to be done by hand.

This seems very expensive to me, considering all of her materials were about $100. So I have a few questions:

Do many quilters (beginners) pay someone else to assemble the quilt?
Is $170-$200 a normal price for this service?
How hard is it to put together the front, back, and battling without a quilting machine? Can it be done with a regular sewing machine like she uses to assemble the front pattern?

Thank you for your advice.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:18 PM

Default Sounds reasonable & house rules

This cost is in line with the "quilt by check" costs in our area. Your wife very well might like to piece and pay someone to finish her quilts.

My husband restores cars. The rule at our house is "don't ask, don't tell, you know what you can afford." Just as I wouldn't tell him to paint his car with rattle cans, he would never tell me to quilt it at home. I know the longarm quilter can do a better job on a huge quilt than I can, and that's up to my judgement.