Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pedal foot pain? >

Pedal foot pain?

Pedal foot pain?

Old 05-22-2010, 03:58 AM

Try turning your pedal around so your sewing foot is facing down instead of up all the time. This might help.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I had to wear one of those "boots" for weeks on my Right foot. Putting it on and off for driving ect, well I just decided to drive with my left did it all winter long! Just go around the block a couple of times and you will be an expert in no time.
Isn't there some kind of attachment that can be installed for a "left-footed" driver?
Old 05-22-2010, 04:27 AM

Are there still machines out there that you can operate with your knee? I remember those in school. A little lever hangs down from the machine and you push it with your knee. That would give everyone's feet a rest.I guess you would have to invest in an older machine tho. Just an idea!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I did a search on foot pain and all I came up with are sewing machine 'feet'. I am experiencing pain on the upper side of my right (pedal) foot. All I can think of is that the Sunday/Monday sewathon did me in. Anyone else experience this type of foot pain. I can hardly bend my foot for the pain in that joint. I've tried icing it and arnica cream. I'm going to rest it again today and if it's not better, will have to go see the doc. I may have to learn to use the left foot (notice I'm not giving up sewing.) Driving a car is a different story.
Sorry about your pain. One problem I have found is, if I am wearing shoes with laces(I wear Keds). I have to be sure and not tie them too tight, or I will get ankle and upper shin and upper leg pain. It starts with a aching and goes to pain. It happens when I drive the car too. Sometimes it helps to sew in socks for a while without shoes. Can't do that in the car!!! lol
Old 05-22-2010, 07:18 AM

To keep my foot petal from moving I have attached some pads that you use to keep furniture from moving. to the bottom of it. Another thing that works is that waffle weave shelf liner.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:40 AM

I notice that I sometimes get pain when I arch my foot on the pedal - in effect pushing with the ball of my foot instead of my whole foot. When I flatten the foot out and use the whole thing, it goes away. I just arch my foot without thinking about it sometimes.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 AM

the Juki has a knee lever, but I never use it. I use to use my grandmother's treadle singer machine with a knee lever, but I prefer the foot pedal on my "modern machines".
The foot pain should go away if you rest it a day or so. When I was climbing up and down a hill, I ended up with shin splints and had to rest a few days. I wonder if you could duct tape the foot pedal to the inside of your machine cabinet or whatever, and then use it like a lever?
Old 05-22-2010, 12:58 PM

My Janome machines have a start/stop button next to the needle, a foot pedal and knee lift so I can use whichever I prefer and I use them all depending on what I'm working.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:18 PM

dsb, what is "Goo' from Wal-Mart?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:11 PM

Nancy O, I think you hit the nail on the head. I had been having a vague ache in the foot for a while but seemed to get better when I'd rest it at night. Last Tues I went fabric shopping and lunch with my 'peeps' and I wore some lace up shoes that I had not worn in ages. By the end of our field trip, I was in a bad way and it's taken days to get better. I'm almost there. but now when I go back to sewing I am going to try all of the above pieces of advice. This board is so supportive. thanks everyone.