Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pedal foot pain? >

Pedal foot pain?

Pedal foot pain?

Old 05-23-2010, 05:34 PM

I use "Blue Emu" from Walmart in the arthritic rub area. It doesn't smell but sure works. It also is a great skin softener. I grew up sewing on an old White straight stitch with a knee lever and I wish my mom hadn't traded it in for my sister's machine. I'm now looking for either a machine with the knee lever or converting my 15-91 to a knee lever.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
I did a search on foot pain and all I came up with are sewing machine 'feet'. I am experiencing pain on the upper side of my right (pedal) foot. All I can think of is that the Sunday/Monday sewathon did me in. Anyone else experience this type of foot pain. I can hardly bend my foot for the pain in that joint. I've tried icing it and arnica cream. I'm going to rest it again today and if it's not better, will have to go see the doc. I may have to learn to use the left foot (notice I'm not giving up sewing.) Driving a car is a different story.
I mounted my machines in a cabinet and use a knee pedal, what a difference, no more foot pain, and no right side lock up either. There are vintage and used cabinets around and it might be worth looking into. Unless you have a lower table that is below 30 inches high then a portable puts the machine UP too tall for most of us to be comfortable, and that throws the entire right side of the body out. I have spent a lot of time at the osteopaths and am very aware of when I am stressing out my leg and back, so when it gets tired, I rest or do something else for a while.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:56 PM

Okay, this takes the cake... I just found out last week, after I hurt my foot last month, that my sewing machine Ive had for 20+ years has an option to use a button to start/ stop the sewing instead of using the pedal. Okay, my bad.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:47 PM

Something I have used is to rest my heel on a thick phone book and it has really helped. You could use any thick book. Then the ball of your foot on the pedal.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:15 PM

Leah Day says she puts her heel on a book and then uses the front of her foot and toes to press on the pedal. Keeps the angle of her foot less acute and could help reduce some of the pain. I never tried it myself.

By the way, how do you train yourself to use your left foot on the pedal so you can use your right knee on the lifter? I was having a terrible time trying to do it the other day. Just practice?