Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
the PERFECT quilting/craft room >

the PERFECT quilting/craft room

the PERFECT quilting/craft room

Old 06-02-2013, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Billie G View Post
I am so glad you started this thread!!!! I am in the process of having built a 14X34 building for a sewing room(?) area (?) whatever it ends up being called. I am soooooooooooo excited!! Something I have always wanted. Now I have more ideas for how I want it.

Plug ins about 3' off the floor-wood floors of some kind (possibly vynial?)-electrician wants to put in "canned lights", unsure on that one, going to be LOTS of them, maybe about every 4'- lots of shelving- Now what else do I need?

Thanks for all your help and keep the ideas coming.

Billie G
Get double duty by having a "big board" size ironing surface mounted atop a counter-top height dresser with drawers for storage of ? (patterns, fabric, tools, etc.) Same can be said for your cutting board.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:12 AM

Well, I am very blessed because I just moved in January to a new (to me) house that has a casita (about 16 x21') which is my new quilting room. It has a small kitchen at one end with a sink, coffee maker, microwave, dorm refrigerator, etc., and a walk-in closet plus a full bath at the other end. There is a bay window that has a nice view of the neighborhood (where I put my sewing machine), but the window brings in a lot of sun, so we had a company come and install a window tint film that prevents damaging suns rays from entering but is not really noticeable, sort of like the window tint on cars. We took out the carpeting and installed wood flooring. I have a large design wall covered with flannel that has 2" grid lines on it, a huge cutting table with storage underneath, lots of kitchen cabinets plus two tall pantries, an L-shaped counter top, and my Big Board rests on top. I have a sleep sofa for comfortable seating and a place for my daughter to sleep when she visits (she's a quilter, too!). For an end table next to the sofa I got a wood 2-drawer lateral file cabinet to store patterns. In the closet my DH rigged up the hanging rod so that I can have a huge roll of batting spooling off of it, and I taped a paper tape measure on the wall next to it so that I can cut off exactly as much batting as I need. In that same closet I have tall shelving units filled with clear shoe boxes and storage totes to contain my UFOs and embroidery CDs. I have another shelving unit that holds my rubber stamp collection. My inks and paper for card-making are in some of the kitchen cabinets in the room. On the back of the closet door I put up a bunch of the Command strip hooks and hung all my quilting stencils grouped by size so they are easily visible. back in the main room, one tall pantry holds all my quilting books. I have to thank everyone on the board who has ever written in under the Organization thread. In the months before we actually moved into our new house I read every post about organization, and drooled over every photo posted. I got many great ideas, so thanks everyone!

Last edited by Gabrielle's Mimi; 06-02-2013 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:47 AM

I love designing imaginary rooms/houses almost as much as quilts! If I could build my own separate studio, it would be quite large and modern to fit my tastes...... and allow me to almost live there! I would design it to be as energy efficient as possible, with solar roof, integrated concrete form exterior walls, standing seam metal roof, and cool polished concrete. floors. For my climate, I would want my long wall of windows to face north and the southern exposure to have clerestory windows shaded by deep eaves. I would leave the wood trusses exposed. DH and I have come to dislike the large numbers of recessed lights in our house with 12 ft. ceilings, so I would have suspended fixtures and pendants, with hidden strips of LED up-lights and sconces around the perimeter.
All of my sewing furniture and cabinets would be finished on four sides and have locking casters for mobility. I would use lots of drawers with easy-close glides and fabulous hardware. Counter and table heights would all be 36" for standing or sitting in a drafting chair.

I would use soft-white paint, light woods, natural linen, cream leather to keep the space light and airy. Punches of color would come from exposed quilting and clothing fabric stashes, neatly organized on shelving with glass doors, and from a design wall and quilts on display.

I need to win the lottery to pay for this!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:00 AM

I don't know about sustrally, but I am receiving a rather large inheritance very shortly, and the perfect sewing room will be built in my DH's shop. The room will be 24 x 28 and contain all my dreams. I just have to hurry up and get them organized for it. I can't wait
Old 06-02-2013, 08:13 AM

I would say a room that comes with a maid - she can clean up after me - fold all my fabric and clean up all those bits of fabric and thread that migrate everywhere - and when she not doing that - she can clean my house. Now that's my perfect sewing room.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:14 AM
Power Poster

My dream room is under construction at this time...I am building a barn 30x50...my sewing room will be 20x20 with a 10x10 storage room and a bathroom...Haven't planned out the inside yet but will have to consider all options when I do...I am always watching the Board for ideas...
Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

My dream room right now has most every thing discribed by leaha! My area involves the entire walk out lower level of the house. I have a 6' x3.5' ironing table w/ storage under it. My DSM is recessed into a 6'x 4' sewing table. There is an 8' long cutting/ planning table w/ storage. A whole wall design board that has several door like panels so there is always lots of stuff on the go on both sides of every panel. Big lights hang over the tables and there is large fabric storage unit about 7' long and 6'high. This is all in about a 13'x 13' area. Next to that is a small sitting area with all my electronics , couch and two chairs w/ a view of my pond and woods. The other side of my space holds the 12' LAM and a whole wall of built in shelving w/ storage. Next to that is a laundry room. No bath room and that would be nice.

I do wish there was better lighting that worked on a switch and more electric plugs that are at table height so I wouldn't have to get behind furniture to plug things in. If the sockets could be in the ceiling on tracks all the cords would be out of the way.

I would love to have a screen porch to sew in through spring and fall and nights in the summer. That would make my space perfect.

I want to paint my floor (cement) with a large quilt block of some kind.

I really like my space, can you tell. I am blessed.
peace
Old 06-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Floor to ceiling shelving with glass doors!....and a cutting table at counter height....floors with no carpeting....electrical outlets everywhere....windows for natural lighting.....heating/ac to keep a constant temp and humidity.....doors to keep out the furry critters (cats and dogs) because they leave fur and fuzz everywhere!....flatscreen tv that I can hook up my computer to, so I can see the patterns and instructions in great big size!....and plenty of room to expand so if my ship ever comes in I can get that longarm (I can dream can't I?)

Wow buckeye, you really know how to dream.,!!! Sounds perfect to me. LOL
Old 06-02-2013, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
Floor to ceiling shelving with glass doors!....and a cutting table at counter height....floors with no carpeting....electrical outlets everywhere....windows for natural lighting.....heating/ac to keep a constant temp and humidity.....doors to keep out the furry critters (cats and dogs) because they leave fur and fuzz everywhere!....flatscreen tv that I can hook up my computer to, so I can see the patterns and instructions in great big size!....and plenty of room to expand so if my ship ever comes in I can get that longarm (I can dream can't I?)
Oh yeah. That sounds just about perfect but I'd add a comfortable chair with ottoman so I could sit and do my hand stitching in absolute comfort.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:28 AM

Cupboards with shelves narrow and high enough to store the stash, lots of light, a table with chairs for working/chatting/drinking tea/talking quilts, a loo close by so I don't have to go through the whole house with distractions and then everything I currently have in my work room. PLUS. Leah's room, except for the glass doors, because the African sun does not play around. Oh yes, and plug outlets no lower that waist height. And a robot that can clean, iron fabric before I cut them and then return them to their rightful spot and also know when to bring the next cup of tea.