Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
perfect quilts ? >

perfect quilts ?

perfect quilts ?

Old 08-18-2011, 04:03 AM

Remember what the Amish say: only God is perfect! There should be at least one mistake in every quilt.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i do not think all people are being too hard when they say "its not perfect".

many people want to improve their skills with each quilt so they study it and find the weak points so they know where they need work and more practice.

not everyone is negative when they say these things - it could just be a learning critique of their work.
I agree the picture of a quilt may look "perfect" but if I cut a hole in his nose while trimming the back or missed stitching down a section before quilting, it has issues. Then to find a solution that is workable!
Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM

I know for me, having entered quilts into juried shows and having them come back with little notes pinned to then where they are not perfect, was very upsetting.
MK
Old 08-18-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I see so many posts here where people post pictures of beautiful quilts and then say 'it's not perfect'. I feel people are too hard on themselves, if it was perfect it would not look handmade. If you want a perfect quilt, buy one at Walmart that is made in China. If your quilt is as beautiful as is looks in the picture, then it is perfect in my book. Give yourself the credit you deserve.
Ok....hold on a second....ever take a close look at those "Walmart, made in China" quilts??? I bought several and cut them up and made drapes for my room, my living room and my girls room from them. Without exception, they had mistakes in them....points that didn't match, squares cut unevenly, and etc. You cannot purchase a "perfect" quilt even from Walmart.

But that aside, I agree with you....we are all too hard on ourselves, and give ourselves far too little credit for the "masterpieces" we create.....and every quilt we make, IMHO, is a masterpiece...because it is an expression of ourselves....and we are all masterpieces!! Just MHO
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

Agreed that we are too hard on ourselves. We forget how we view other people's quilts. We look the overall effect not each individual seam. It is that basic light medium and dark that is the most important "color" and the overall design that is pleasing to the eye.

Sure we try hard to do the best we can. One of the most beautiful quilts I have seen is by a friend who was an absolute beginner. The quilt was not square, the borders were not straight, but it was stunning. I didn't notice the unsquare or the crooked borders, she had to point them out. I was so taken by her fussy cut patterns in the tea cups and the beauty of the colors. I must have seen it 10 times before I saw it with her there and she pointed out it's quirks. I never saw anything but beauty. Even now my mind knows it isn't perfect, but I have to purposely look to see it. I am so taken by the quilt's beauty.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mkotch
Remember what the Amish say: only God is perfect! There should be at least one mistake in every quilt.
Sorry for the double posts...but I love this thought!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-18-2011, 04:36 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by ghostrider
"I strive for excellence, not perfection."
I'm going to tattoo this on my forehead. I am cursed with perfectionism, and I can't pull it off. *sigh*
Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 AM

Nothing in life is perfect.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
GEEZE!!! You think Wal Mart quilts are perfect?? YUCK!!
I agree. We call Wal Mart quilts, toe catchers. because the qulting is so big you catch your toe (big) in them and tear them. the quality is not good.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:59 AM

LOL. My imperfect life has lot's of room for imperfect quilts. I just enjoy the piecing and seeing how it looks. Mine will never be perfect, but will be enjoyed by me or my family forever! I do get when someone says "it's not perfect", because everyone wants to reach that goal. It wouldn't be fun without always trying to do better!