Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PFaff versus Bernina >

PFaff versus Bernina

PFaff versus Bernina

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 AM

Twenty six years ago, when I purchased my first machine, it came down to a Phaff or a Bernina. I sewed on both and really liked some of the features of the Phaff, but in the end, it was the customer service and the knee lift feaure of the Bernina that sold it for me. I am a "Bernina Babe" to the end. There is a reason they continue to get top dollar for their machines. Spend some time on both, visit with each dealer. Regardless of what machine you buy, that dealer will be your new best friend in the next few months as you get to know your machine, so you need to be able to feel comfortable with him. Both are very good machines, so take dollars saved or spent out of the equation, and compare features and customer service, and make your decision from that.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:52 AM

I have a Bernina 1130 that I purchased in 1985 when they first came out and use it daily. Over the years I used it to make clothing for the public including wedding apparel. For 10 years I used it to fabricate draperies and window fashions. Then,t was on to quilting. I quilt all of my own quilts on it. The technician who services my machine says he has never seen a more heavily used machine. Over the years I have had to replace the circuit boards and replace a couple of parts. The foot control had to be rebuilt. It had been a real workhorse and I plan to use it for the rest of my quilting days. I also had the older 830 model for lots of years before I gave it to my sister. I have considered the 430QE but have not made the purchase. It would be a vanity purchase because I really love my 1130.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
I don't believe this is correct. Pfaff used to be made in Germany, not Sweden. Viking used to be made in Sweden but both Viking and Pfaff merged with Singer to create SVP which are now manufactured in China.

Bernina bought a factory in Thailand to produce some of their lower end machines. The TOL machines are still made in Switzerland.

I own the new 830 and if I could turn back time, I'd buy a longarm instead...
It is correct. The Pfaff 2170 showed on the back - Made in Czech Republic. My 2140 and 2144 both say Made in Sweden. If it says Made with German Engineering, it isn't made in Germany.
Viking, Pfaff, Singer merged again as VSM. Viking is still in Sweden. Major conglomerate. Make tractors, chain saws, dirt bikes, you name it. Only TOL are made there.
The Viking 1+ I had had the Husqvarna crown emblem on it.

Pfaff also never renewed the IDT. That is why it is showing up on other machines. Babylock got it on the first Quest. Worked just like the Pfaff.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:48 AM

Default Love my Bernina's

I've been sewing on an old Bernina 830 Record from 1972, I added a BabyLock in 2006, then needed a machine that would embroider and added a Bernina 165. Then needed a machine that would do a really really narrow sitch (for blind applique) and purchased a Bernina 1230.......Just love those Berninas. They are all true workhorses. The BabyLock is OK but nothing beats those Berninas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 06:50 AM

I love my Pfaff with the 10" throat. I have owned 4 Pfaffs over the past 20 years. No problem with them, I have just upgraded a few times. I recently bought a "baby" Pfaff to take to classes and love it, too!!
Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I have a Pfaff Ambition 1.5 take a look at it . you might be surprised.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 AM

I have a baby lock 6150 which I took to a FMCG class. Poor baby wasn't able to FMCG so the dealer let mr use a bl decorators choice. Loved the machine and bought it on the spot. Think it was $700.00. Didn't realize how great it was. The harp (is that what you call the area on the right side of the needle?) is 10 inches, has a knee lifter, needle down and thread cutter and lots of fancy stitches. Does nice FAQ but really loved the walking foot for straight line quilting which also fits the 6150. You might want to check out Babylock.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:04 AM

I own a Pfaff creative vision, sewing, quilting and embroidery machine. I bought it second-hand from a dealer at 1/3 the price of new (still not cheap), and I couldn't be happier with it. It FMQ's like a dream. All tension and stitch length setting are automatically set with the push of a button and this thing can move. It is super fast and does beautiful stitches. My machine is a 2009 model and has more features than I will ever figure out how to use, but I love it and would buy it again in a heartbeat! The best advice I can give is to find out what kind of service your dealer offers. My Pfaff dealer is GREAT to work with and always helpful. I have heard horror stories about some others so I would sure check that out.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM

You'll have to test them out, and see what you like. I have a feeling this conversation won't really help you as so many of us are loyal to our particular machine. Also, make sure you like the dealer. Sort of like asking Toyota or Honda? Chocolate or vanilla? Good luck with your choice - either one will be wonderful!
Old 04-03-2013, 09:45 AM

Love, love, love my Bernina 830