PFaff versus Bernina >

PFaff versus Bernina

PFaff versus Bernina

Old 04-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Location: I live in Wooster, Ohio but am in Florida for 3 months

I have 3 Pfaffs!!
Old 04-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Banned

you will be glad you bought one with largest space whatever the brand. Berninas are expensive. Others more reasonable. I have 11" Janome Horizon which I love.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM

I've had my Pfaff QE 4.0 for almost two years and absolutely love it - after I took a couple of classes!!!
This is my fifth Pfaff (can't say that without laughing), and they have all been wonderful. I still own three of them
I know other ladies who own Berninas and Janomes and they are very happy with them.
To find out what you are going to be most happy with, you have to go and try them out, and it's very important to find a dealer that you like IMHO.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by pjsandusky View Post
I am looking at a new sewing machine with a long neck (10-11 in) and cannot decide between the Pfaff and the Bernina. I would love to hear from owners of long necked machines about the positives of their machines. Thanks.

pjsandusky
I can't wait to hear what you end up with. The 710 (Bernina) is just a bit more than 1/3 the price of the 830. But you get a lot less. I also own a 580. I've quilted a king on it, but looking forward to owning an 830.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:08 PM

I have a Pfaff, but it is several years old and made in the Czech Republic. The newer ones I have seen at the dealer are made in China.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

I love my Pfaff. The duel feed feature as well and the lights and the built in stitches....I just love it.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:34 PM

I love my pfaff, I had a bernina, I did not like. But the pfaff has the longer throat, and I really like my pfaff.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:19 PM

Oh man.. what a question. I learned to sew on a Pfaff.. my mom always had a Pfaff.. Later when I bought my first top model machine I bought an 830 Bernina.. I love that machine and even though it's very old now, that machine still runs and sews great.. I also have a 1230 Bernina, and an 810.. Somewhere along the line I also picked up a Pfaff 1471, which is a joy to sew on. However, when my DH retired he bought me a new machine.. it's a Pfaff Creative Vision 5.0 .. what a wonderful machine!! I love that machine.. It's so wonderful to use. It does everything and does it easily. It a joy to sew on. It tells you when you're going to run out of bobbin thread, so that's not a problem.. it tells you everything except when dinner is ready! I love that machine. and..

I don't know if this is relavant.. but this machine went through the tornado that blew our home to pieces.. When I picked up the machine, it had water pouring out of it.. I mean pouring.. It wasn't just wet, it was full of water. Months later I took it in for them to check it and clean it.. (lost all the guarentees of course.. ) They took it all apart and cleaned everything, they said the water was not able to get into the CPU, and that the machine worked fine, at least for now. so I took it home thinking I might get a week or a month or two.. Now, 2 years later, it's still sewing just like it always did.. It took quite a beating in the tornado, yet it lives!! It is one tough machine.

I think that if you buy either a Pfaff or a Bernina you will not be disappointed. Both are wonderful from my experience.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM

I have a TOL Viking Diamond Deluxe and although it was assembled in China (Made in China) the major components are still put together in Switzerland. It is a wonderful machine and although I don't like the idea Made in China there isn't much in getting around it. My older Pfaff 2170 embroidery machine was made in Czechoslavakia and is also a wonderful machine. The Viking says on the machine "Engineered and Designed in Sweden" and same goes for Pfaff; they still have their German engineering. The tech at the dealer where I bought my Viking was a Bernina salesman several years ago, and he told me Bernina's were made in China before Viking and Pfaff and I don't think it is true that the TOL Bernina's are still made in Switzerland, but maybe the major components, like Viking and Pfaff are still made in their prospective factories in country of origin.

Pfaff convention is coming up in the U.S. and the newest Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.4 is going to debut. I am interested in that machine myself and am looking forward to seeing it at the LQS/dealer where they are sold.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:43 PM

I bought a Pfaff Expression 3 a couple of years ago after not sewing seriously for years, on the strength of Pfaff's reputation, the IDT and the proximity of a local dealer. I only twigged they were made in China after I had committed to buy. Nearly pulled out of the purchase. Serious trouble with the tension (I thought it was me) spoilt my pleasure and knocked my confidence. It was finally fixed when the tension something or other was completely replaced on the technician's advice for the cost of the labour (it was just out of warranty). I suspect Pfaff had problems with their first Chinese-made Expressions 2-4 machines and that's why some love those machines and some hate them. Mine works beautifully now, great tension etc and I love it. Sadly, the dealer was a pompous idiot so I only went back for one follow up. He's now shut up shop, meaning I have to drive two hours to the city get to a Pfaff dealer or mechanic. I've looked at the new TOL Berninas because of the stitch regulator but feel getting one would be extravagant beyond sense given my Pfaff is now good.