Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pfaff vs Babylock opinons please

Well, it gets trickier, ladies. I just bought a Babylock Quest Plus for $1300 with ONE extra foot and the $80 (ha!) workbook included. Felt great about it, since the Janome 6600 which is VERY similar was the same price but lacks a free arm. If I'm not quilting, I'm making couture pajamas for my boys, so I need a free arm to put deco stitches on the cuffs. Considered the Pfaff QE 4, but read several bad reviews, apparent lemons.

Sorry, hit send too soon on my iPhone. Anyway, the dealer had the Pfaff Smarter when I bought my BL Quest Plus, but the sales gal told me it was a straight stitch only machine or some such thing. I hadn't seen or read anything about it, just saw it on a table in the back. NOW there's a website for this new machine and it's just like the BL Quest Plus but with a low bobbin alert and auto cut and a few other extra features. Same body, it seems. Elna has a model like it too. But feature-wise, the Pfaff is the best.

Argh! Phone again. Did the dealer fail to mention this near twin to the BL Quest Plus they sold me to get rid of a BLQP and make way for these? Could she have seriously not realized or thought of it? Prices very close. And price not my big issue. What should I do now, try it out and see if I can get the dealer to let me trade laterally? Go to another, far away, Pfaff dealer if I want it and sell the BLQP on my own? Forget about those features I didn't get and just enjoy what I've got? And has anyone bought/used the new Pfaff Smarter? Any complaints? I avoided the Janome Horizon and Pfaff QE 4 due to lemon-phobia. Btw, I don't just obsess about stuff. I bought my house the day I saw it, warts and all, and married my man 12 days after we met, so I'm not a waffler or if-only type. Advice from the saavy is sincerely appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I have had my Pfaff 1475CD for a very long time before the 7550 came out,not one bit of trouble with it.I did buy a Babylock Estante,it just sits.I do all my free motion quilting with my Pfaff.I don't think you would be sorry with a Pfaff.

Blog Entries
    Since I last posted, I decided that the Pfaff 2058 was NOT the machine for me and when hubby begged me to put it away and get a different machine (he was afraid of having to replace a window - when I was tempted to toss that Pfaff...) I went on the hunt. I test drove Vikings, Janomes, and assorted others but fell in love with the Babylock Espire (now being marketed as the Symphonie). I figuered if Eleanor Burns and Nancy Zieman like the Babylocks, I should give them a try.

Can honestly say that I LOVE my Quilla. She is the bomb! Nothing I don't like about her except that she doesn't have a built-in walking foot. But the add-on foot works just fine. LOVELOVELOVE her!

You probably already bought your machine but I wanted to tell you I have a Pfaff 2036 and loved it. So when they came out with the Expressions 4.0 I bought it because I quilt my own quilts. It had the longer throat and thread cutter which I really wanted. Terrible machine. Nothing but problems with it when free motion quilting. The thread breaks about 8 times when quilting one block. I am so disappointed. I hate it and spent quite a bit on it. Piecing your quilt or using the decorative stitches is great. But DO NOT buy it for free motion quilting. I just don't know what to do now since I spend so much I can't afford to buy another one.

I have a BabyLock Ellure and a Pfaff 2.0, like both of them for different reasons. They were purchased about five years apart at two different sewing machine stores. It has been my experience that you can buy a machine anywhere, but when you finally purchase, you're getting more than a machine, you're also buying support, customer service, trade-in/up options as well. There were many visits to 'test-drive' machines before I bought the Pfaff, I probably sewed on 8 -9 machines at a local shop, and was never made to feel like I should hurry up and decide, they really wanted me to feel comfortable with my choice.

I like others have the the Babylock espire and I'm in love. However,buying a machine is like buying a car you must test drive first. With that being said I love how quite the espire runs and all the many features it has,especially the automatic pivoting.I found mine for 1100 and in my area they're running a special on the quest plus for under 1000.
    Best of luck on whatever you choose.

I have both a Pfaff 7570 and a Babylock Espire. While I like my Pfaff a lot, I LOVE my Espire, LOVE it. I have more machines then I need, having a vintage Singer and a vintage 1917 Franklin (both work well)and also a BabyLock Elure serger. But if I had to chose just one machine it would be my Espire, no doubt. I love BabyLock so I'm sure the Quest would also be a good choice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2