Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die >

Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die

Pics showing accuquilt "wastage" using rag die

Old 12-21-2011, 05:03 AM

I have been on the see-saw on whether to purchase one or not. Still not sure. But if I had one, I probably would not trade it in.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:09 AM

Thank you for the pics and information. I would like an accuquilt orbetter yet a studio. Someday it will be in the budget.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:20 AM

I have the studio and it is a life saver Its worth every penny,I have RA and it turns good unless you try to put more in it than you should I keep buying the dies when they are on sell. Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2011, 05:27 AM

I have the accu go. If you try to cut too many thicknesses, the crank is harder to turn. Just experiment with how many thicknesses are easy for you to do. The larger dies (5 1/2" squares) are a little harder to turn through because the die itself is larger. But it's worth it!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:50 AM

Default precutting

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hmmm. I have the Studio so I can cut more layers, but I don't even pre-cut the squares. I just fold the fabric and plunk it on overlapping the blade edges and shoot it through.
I don't cut either. I fold the fabric and line it up on three sides and let the overflow go at the 4th side and cut. No waste of fabric that way. And it saves time from precutting pieces.

The key is to also when you get those dies is take a permanent magic marker and trace the outline of the die. This way you can easily see where to place it everytime.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Hmmm. I have the Studio so I can cut more layers, but I don't even pre-cut the squares. I just fold the fabric and plIunk it on overlapping the blade edges and shoot it through.
I own ALL the GO and Studio Rag Quilts and love them. I'm currently working on a Take Six (kinda like Take Five) Rag Quilt with a Christmas theme. It won't be done this year but will by next Christmas.

I'm also planning to experiment quilting each block as I go with other fabric after the new year instead of doing just and X through it. I may even embellish some of them with various threads and fibers as I go along. Guess it will end up being sort of a Crazy Rag Quilt (like a crazy quilt).
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 AM

I have the AccuQuilt Studio and I can't say just how much I adore it! I've also come to the conclusion that I'm terrible at cutting accurately with out the dies.

For those who are having a little bit of difficulty with cranking it, I've found two things help me:

1) Instead of just lining the cutting plastic to the beginning of the die, if you can, have the cutting plastic overhang a little (1" or so) on the side that is going through first.

2) Make sure you don't have any straight lines parallel to the roller. I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble cutting my HSTs one day when I had 6 layers (I typically do 9 or the full 10 layers on quilting weight cotton). Turns out I had a straight edge on the roller.
Attached Thumbnails img_2398a.jpg  

Last edited by aeble; 12-21-2011 at 09:28 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 12-21-2011, 03:11 PM

A quilt shop in Dubuque Ia has one that they rent to you. I did a rag quilt and just loved it. I had previously made one and this was SO much easier!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:51 PM

I have and Ipad and a Studio cutter...if I had to give one up it would be the Ipad...I love my Studio!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Dear Embed, What a wonderful tool. Earlier this year I made my first rage (whoops, a Freudian slip) quilt. It is lovely to look at and feels so soft, but what a job. Now that I know there is a tool for ragging, I'll save up my requests for gifts from DH and maybe get one too. Loved your fabric.