Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing with Flannel Questions >

Piecing with Flannel Questions

Piecing with Flannel Questions

Old 10-24-2011, 01:05 PM

I have heard of Mary Ellen's Best Press. I'll check it out to see if I can use it. I'm not sure where to get it so I will Google it. I am going to look for a higher quality of flannel as well. Everyone has been so helpful. :)
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tropical
I have heard of Mary Ellen's Best Press. I'll check it out to see if I can use it. I'm not sure where to get it so I will Google it. I am going to look for a higher quality of flannel as well. Everyone has been so helpful. :)
Your LQS should carry it.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:21 PM

What would happen if you glued the seams together and pressed before sewing.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM

Wash & dry on hot. Unscented starch or sizing before cutting the fabric and lots of it. For the thin, stretchy flannels--I would consider putting the starch mixture in the washing machine and soaking it through then damp dry in the dryer--iron to finish drying. That will teach it who is boss--LOL! For Friendship Stars, I would have cut squares and sewn on both sides of the diagonal to make the points. Avoiding or controlling bias is the key.

I made an Arkansas Crossroads quilt from a mixture of flannels for my trucker sister-in-law. It was fairly quick & easy. The yellow plaid was the thinner, stretchier kind of flannel. The creamy orange was a medium quality and the green was heavy, quilter's flannel.

Pam's Flannel Quilt--Arkansas Crossroads
[ATTACH=CONFIG]276708[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-276655.jpe  
Old 10-25-2011, 03:38 AM

Mary Ellen's Best Press is a liquid starch in a pump bottle and you can get it in Scent-Free as well as scented. It work's really well for me. I'm sure you can order it on line somewhere. I bought mine in a local quilt shop.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:54 AM

I went to JoAnn's yesterday and bought white flannel to use as batting for a table runner---guess I should wash it first !!!??? Paid $5.99 a yard, couldn't believe it---I remember buying flannel to make my babies' layettes for 99 cents a yard----many years ago tho. Now I wish I had read this before buying yesterday.
Thanks for sharing, Kutnso
Old 10-25-2011, 05:09 AM

I buy the ready made starch in a half gallon jug. I use a spray bottle and dilute it to whatever I need.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:55 AM

I also have problems with flannel, not when piecing or even 1/2 square triangles but in the borders. The last two quilts I used I wanted the flannel in the outer boarders for the cozyness of flannel but it comes out wavy. I have tried cutting it across grain and down but they both come out wavy. I do measure the center and cut the borders not just sew it on. I don't know what I am doing wrong either but would love to know as I really like the feel of flannel. The last flannel I used was quilters flannel and not the cheap stuff.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 AM

I've seen a thread or two on the board about making your own starch using cornstarch or even vodka. Maybe they would be kinder on your lungs than spay starch or sizing.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:51 AM

If you don't have luck with homemade cornstarch mixture, I'm wondering if you could use a little white washable glue greatly diluted and sprayed or brushed onto the your flannel. Since it washes out, it might be just enough to stabilize the fabric so it won't distort when you sew. Sharon Schamber talks about the washable white glue in her binding tutorials. I used her technique and was amazed at how much the glue helped. My project now looks professionally finished.