Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing? Quilting? or both? >

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 AM

love it all; haven't felt I've mastered most of the the techniques yet, and that's why I convinced myself from the start to also do fmq. (Not good enough workmanship to justify the cost of sending it out for quilting - may as well practice beginning fmq and learn that as I go too). It's all so addicting!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:11 AM

Piecing only!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
love it all; haven't felt I've mastered most of the the techniques yet, and that's why I convinced myself from the start to also do fmq. (Not good enough workmanship to justify the cost of sending it out for quilting - may as well practice beginning fmq and learn that as I go too). It's all so addicting!!!

Ditto!! I've only been quilting for about a year & learn something new each time I attempt a quilt. Some good, some not so good, some a happy accident.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:16 AM

I definitely like the piecing better. I can and do machine quilt , but since this long arm business stuff has taken off, I have to say its been easier than I thought to part with the quilting process. I do quilt walllhangings and baby quilts, largely because I can manage them on my machine and it's not worth it to me to send them out, but I really only quilt to get them done and move on to the next top!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Not counting BINDING, I love all of the process of making a quilt!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Fabric selection seems to be my favorite part! Just look at my "Fabric Museum". Then I do love piecing the blocks and have something wonderful come out of them...
I don't like the quilting as much, but that is only because I haven't done it much. And binding... don't like binding as I don't have the patience for hand work. But as my machine binding gets better, I like it better too! Especially since then I have a completed project!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:14 AM

I love designing a top for someone special and making it just for them. I also just love piecing tops and watching as the design unfolds on my wall. I don't mind cutting, it just can be hard on my body at times so I have to take it in stages and take breaks from it when I need them.
I don't mind the quilting, but it is very hard on my body, so I can't say I enjoy it either. I can't afford sending them out for LAing so I try to keep it fairly simple and do everything by machine. Due to my fibro and arm and neck injury, there is no hand sewing possible for me that takes more than about 5-10 minutes.
Oh, and I don't do the batting and backing thing, it's too hard for me, I just use fleece as backing and it works well in my world. So far no one has complained!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM

I am a natural born shopper so the looking at fabric is a delight to me. I like to cut my pieces then try to lay them out to see how they will look different ways, that makes it like a jigsaw puzzle with no idea what the end should look like as I have yet to use a real pattern to create anything. The quilting is the hardest part for me. I have a basic Brother LS2125i that I love but it's not really made for doing the "quilting" and so far I'm too new at my craft to send my work out to have it done by someone else to look professional. But I still have great fun and that's what I took up quilting for to have fun.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Even though I don't enjoy the quilting part, somehow I just have to do the whole thing myself. I don't think I would feel as good about the end result if someone else did the quilting. Every stitch has to be my work.
This is me, too. Plus, I'll never get better if I don't make myself practice!

The quilt store near my work has a longarm you can rent time on, after taking a class. I will probably do that some day. For now my binding is worse than my quilting so I'm focusing on that! I can do SITD well enough to get by.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM

I love to walk in a store, see a fabric and it immediately becomes a quilt in my mind. I then go to the drawing board and draw the pattern decide how much material I need then purchase if needed. Continue to the last stitch on the binding, I love it all. Quilting is my challenge right now. Just discovered more that SID. Only have a regular machine.