Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piecing? Quilting? or both? >

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Piecing? Quilting? or both?

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

I love it all also. I do not quilt well on my DSM but I love hand quilting.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka View Post
I love looking at and buying fabrics, looking at patterns in magazines and online, I love piecing the top, but I kind of stall once the top is done! I can only quilt my own if they are baby/lap size, just have a regular sewing machine. Just starting one that's gonna be for my son's wedding, planning on sending it out to be quilted. Going to be all blue dresdens.
Oooh... I can't wait to see that! Eons ago I made an all navy blue Dresden Plate quilt for my bed. I used it till it was in tatters! But I loved the look of it before it bit the dust. Please post yours when you get it going, OK?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Termi View Post
I love picking out a pattern and playing with different fabric and figuring out which ones to use. I'd have to say I like the whole process, except of course ripping out.
We all already know I'm straight up nutty as a fruitcake (LOL!) so it won't surprise y'all to know that I don't even mind ripping out (unless I've made my stitches entirely too small & can't get the ripper blade under them). I find it kind of relaxing. It's a darn good thing I don't mind ripping since I end up having to do it so often... LOL!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:22 PM

My favorite part is standing in front of my longarm and having the quilt talk to me ad tell me what it wants quilted on it! It is totally me getting to be creative, not following a pattern someone else has come up with. I do enjoy choosing a pattern and the perfect materials to use in each pattern and sewing it together. Not in love with cutting and I hate the hand work. Love giving my quilts to folks that love and appreciate them - and will USE them!!
Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

I love it all but the most challenging part for me is the quilting since I do not have a long arm and have neck issuesl.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by PiecesinMn View Post
The part I don't enjoy is the basting the top to be ready for quilting. I find it tedious. The love the rest of the quilting process from picking a pattern, material, piecing and quilting (either tie, hand or machine). Are there basting elves?
LOL!!! That's probably my least favorite part, too!!!

I do enjoy the piecing - from the very beginning of seeing a vision, picking out the fabric, and turning it into it's final project.

And if anyone ever finds those basting elves - send them my way, please!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Farm Quilter View Post
My favorite part is standing in front of my longarm and having the quilt talk to me ad tell me what it wants quilted on it! It is totally me getting to be creative, not following a pattern someone else has come up with. I do enjoy choosing a pattern and the perfect materials to use in each pattern and sewing it together. Not in love with cutting and I hate the hand work. Love giving my quilts to folks that love and appreciate them - and will USE them!!
I wish I had your talent. My quilts never talk to me and I never know how to quilt them. My grandmother must have had the same problem I have,because all her quilts were either //// lines or baptist fans (done with a string)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:40 PM

I love the creating part of making the top. Sometimes I make myself do a complicated quilting pattern when machine quilting, just to keep myself interested. If it were not for me owning a long-arm, I would probably just make the tops.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Power Poster

I love everything about making a quilt - Start to finish.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Power Poster

I may not "love" it all but I need to do it all to say that the quilt was made by me. I love the design aspect - playing with layouts, coloring grids with crayons (and letting my inner 5-year-old come out and play). I love picking fabrics from my stash to see if I can make it without buying more. I'm OK with the cutting and the piecing, even the pressing. What I like the least is putting the sandwich together. Now that I am getting a quilting machine I'm ever so excited about the FMQ process. Even the binding is a breeze and a relaxing thing to do while watching TV.