Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!! >

Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

Please help me buy a Colour Printer/Scanner for Quilting!!!

Old 01-25-2012, 06:30 AM

would go with an HP color laser printer. They're a little more expensive than the inkjets but cost less in the long run because the toner lasts longer than ink cartridges. I've always had good success with HP. The one I'm using now I've had for over 10 years. It's a printer, scanner, fax, and copier. If you're going to print booklets or a lot of mulitple pages you might want to consider an auto duplexer. You can print the front and back of a page without having to do it manually.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM

QuiltE- Have you bought a printer,yet? If so What did you get?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:49 AM

I have an HP Photosmart C6180 all in one printer that does everything you mentioned. Copying a picture on gloss paper comes out beautiful. A little pricey but worth it.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Evie View Post
Whatever printer you decide to get, make sure it's compatible with your computer. Ask the "geek" to check that the printer's drivers match those of your computer! When my computer died last year and needed replacing, I also had to get a new printer (still working and only about six years old) because the drivers in it would not be compatible with the new computer. Technology moves way too fast!
Laughing here as it was when my printer died I had to get a new computer!! I have an HP photosmart all in one (no fax, not a big deal for me) I did have a fax in one of my printers and when the fax got struck by lightning (over rode the surge protector--sp's are better now) I had a non functioning printer. One thing I have noticed is that the latch (holds the paper in place on the back) pops open everyonce in a while now that I've had this printer for a while (+ 3 years). It's a problem I've had with other HP printers as well. Good luck on your search!
Old 01-25-2012, 06:55 PM

It's my understanding you do not get good picture printing results with a laser color printer. I have been happy with Epson printers. The Epson ink does not run or smear once it is dry. We did find the lower quality photo paper took over night to dry and be smear proof
Old 01-25-2012, 10:36 PM

Mine is EPSON and so is my next one going to be, too! The reason: individual ink cartridges. I can resupply when I can afford it, buy multipacks or individual colors separately. I just restocked last week, I' a pensioner and my income is very small so its scrap quilts, sales and such for me mostly.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:01 PM

I just bought the HP officejet 7500A on HSN it was very reasonable it is a huge printer but makes big prints up to 13 X 19 inches it is a 4 in one that does everything even wireless you can even send an email to it from any where and it will print I have not figured it all out yet but am very happy with what i have learned it has all you said you were looking for
Old 01-26-2012, 12:24 AM

I love my HP 4 in all.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:48 PM
Power Poster

Hello All ... I know I'm a long while getting back to the latest posts.
Thanks everyone ... I've made a list and am checking it twice, and thrice ... and yes, as you can well imagine, am bewildered with all those geek-talk!

Guess I just need to suck it up and go shopping .... after a good strong latte, perhaps?

And if anyone has more input ... by all means, please do share!
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:25 PM

When i was doing freelance home computer support, the only time I was ever called for misbehaving printers were for HPs. I do have an HP (I lost my mind when I bought it) and I hate it (was just banging on it the other day to get the paper to feed!). I have been looking at wireless printers but have not decided yet. I do like Canons but they are among the priciest when costed per page. Dear oh dear - there are so many choices out there and the kids at all the stores always push you to HPs. When I say I want something that is not an HP they are lost! Looking at Epsons and Kodak and Brother right now.