Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please need advice for Baby donations >

Please need advice for Baby donations

Please need advice for Baby donations

Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 AM

I have made hundreds of Linus quilts. They are usually a yard by the width of the fabric. I use child friendly prints and back them with flannel. I make them envelope style and then burp them. This requires no binding. I then machine quilt them with a decorative stitch every four inches the length of the quilt. Most of those who receive them would not know the difference between my simple quilts and a masterpiece. They just are grateful that someone cares. I have a large collection of thank you notes from families that have received one of my "blankets". I think of Linus quilts like the picture on the little label we sew on each of them. It shows "Linus" clutching a quilt to his head and sucking his thumb. It is basically a comfort thing. Those of us who are mothers know that all of our children had something that they clung to when they were upset.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:12 AM

I don't have any suggestions. It sounds like you have a lot of great ones already. I just want to say, 'bless you for your kindness.' There are so many in need around us. What a wonderful thing you've chosen to do.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:22 AM

I make baby blanket using 1 yard of flannel and one yard of cotton I place them right sides together, then I sew all the way around them -- leaving a 5 inch opening -- then turn them inside out. I then make sure the corners are out and then sew a scant 1/4 " around the whole outside then I take pearl cotton and tie in about 6 places to hold the fabric together. I also have made a lot of these sewing different ribbons around the outside edges so when I turn them outside the ribbons have tabbies on them the babies love them. I will post picture in the picture section -- I will call them Tabbie Blankets... you can see one there..... God Bless You !
Old 07-22-2014, 05:28 AM

Great suggestions here! What a generous group the members of this Board are!!!
Old 07-22-2014, 05:38 AM

A Free pattern that is quick and easy: "My favorite Donation quilt" A strip quilt. Just google. May be bigger than you really want. Can easily be adjusted to suit your preferences. Requires only 3 fabrics- focus, tone on tone, and a contrasting. Sounds like you are going to be a busy one. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

In the apt senior complex I live in, there is a knitting group that makes hats for babies for the local hospital, but they only use the soft baby yarn. I had a friend who use to make those burp pads from two pieces of flannel. After turning them inside out, she would do a fancy stitching on her DSM that really made the pad's edge prettier. Do you have any contact with the lady you gave the hats to?? she probably could tell you if there are any restrictions on what is allowed in the ward. Good Luck.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:37 AM

Any pretty fabric should be just fine, for babies. Just remember to make sure everything is washable, including any toys! Since babies can be very messy (spitting up, diaper leaks, etc.), they tend to go through lots of those light-weight blankets/quilts. Moms can also use the lighter covers as cover-ups, for breastfeeding.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:28 AM

Another idea would be small car seat blankets. They are about the size of a fq. I use minky or soft and cuddly fabric for the backing they are great to tuck the baby in while in the car seat. Its not bulky or folded so you don't have to stress over the baby pulling it up and suffocating. I am making a few for my baby when she is born in October.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
I don't have any suggestions. It sounds like you have a lot of great ones already. I just want to say, 'bless you for your kindness.' There are so many in need around us. What a wonderful thing you've chosen to do.
Thanks! I so agree. Have to admit doing this and all my volunteer work makes me feel like I am making a difference. I have been told I should send some of the dobations to other countries. Hope I don't sound horrible BUT we have so many here in the US that need help I prefer to help right here.

Thanks everyone efor all the ideas I plan to use all of them LOL!! Well till my stash is gone anyway. You gals are the best!!
Old 07-22-2014, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by debbieoh View Post
Thanks! I so agree. Have to admit doing this and all my volunteer work makes me feel like I am making a difference. I have been told I should send some of the dobations to other countries. Hope I don't sound horrible BUT we have so many here in the US that need help I prefer to help right here.

Thanks everyone efor all the ideas I plan to use all of them LOL!! Well till my stash is gone anyway. You gals are the best!!
There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to concentrate on helping those, in your own country. The fact that you're helping, is what's important.