Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Please need advice for Baby donations >

Please need advice for Baby donations

Please need advice for Baby donations

Old 07-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Debbieoh,
I agree, there are so many needy right here. Thanks for what you are doing.
Where is Sheffield Village? I know I should know where it is but right at the moment, I am blank.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:33 AM

I agree while it is nice to help other in other countries, there is really a huge need here with children. I know of at least 4 groups in my area that help single moms and teen moms and kids. I try and help them as much as possible. Glad to hear you want to help locally.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Annie123: Thanks for referring her to the Bundles of Love site! I am a volunteer for this organization.

A good baby quilt size is a minimum of 38" by 45". I recently saw a donation of receiving blankets that had two pieces of flannel sewn together at about 30" square. The gal had done a pillowcase turn and then crocheted all along the edges. They were really nice.

If you have a serger, you can cut bibs, receiving blankets, wash mitts, and burp cloths from flannel and then serge the edges. The bibs can have Velcro or snaps on them.

Afghans can be made about 30" square.

You can use any type of material for a hat. Where I volunteer, they make a tam hat with 6 pieces of fabric sewn together with ribbing. When doing baby hats, put both of your hands together in fists and then put them together inside the hat. If they fit, that is a good newborn size.

Thank you for volunteering!

Connie
Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 AM

You might want to try the Self Binding Baby blanket from Missouri Star Quilt Co. It is two layers of flannel, sewn so that there is a border around it. All machine done, no batting. Sort of a nice heavy receiving blanket. They go really fast and are useful for nursing covers as well. I like to make baby quilts from bright colors, don't worry about whether they are juvenile prints or not. Use what you have.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 AM

The Church I used to go to sent crocheted and knitted hats for Preemies and 22 inch Square incubator Covers to Rainbow Babies Hospital in Cleveland because of a young mom at the church who had a preemie.. Don't know if they still do it or not.. Clothing items we sent were The little undershirts ( the ones who couldn't crochet or knit and could buy ) , basic nightgowns ( They fit until the baby is about 10 lbs) and little blankets/Quilts Width of Fabric x 1 yard.
Just basic 4 to 6 inch blocks bright colors of what ever fabrics they had.and she tied it with Embroidery Floss. another lady had a Serger and she made the Serged Flannel receiving Blankets... .

What ever is made is given in Love and Received with an open heart... and Appreciated... Hello from the other side of OHIO.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:30 AM

I just had a new granddaughter, and the hospital there gave her a gallon-sized baggie with a crocheted hat, booties, a blanket with crocheted edging, and a bag to put it all in. I think that is just a wonderful thing you are doing!!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:50 AM

It is so GREAT of you to make donations stuff. There are so many needy people out there. I also crochet baby hats and give them to a hospitle in Akron. I buy a large ball of baby sport yarn for $6.00 at a local big bix store and I can get abiut 30 hats from one ball. It is multi colored yarn and then I put a row of DC in either pink or blue. Pattern only takes about 1 hr to make- no pompom on top. If anyone is interested in the pattern PM me and I will share the pattern. I also make hats and scarfs set for grade school kids and give them to my DG school. SO many needy kids!!!!!

Here is a link for making small quilts for stillborn babies. I have never made any but what a great idea.

http://www.with-heart-and-hands.com/...-blankets.html
Old 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM

You have a wonderful heart and a wonderful opportunity to bless parents. My one caution is that now parents are taught to not use blankets, quilts, covers of any kind in cribs as on of may ways to avoid SIDS deaths and or suffocation. So if you are making quilts for new little ones the hospital may also give the quilt with a "wise use" message. This warning is for children too young to turn over on their own with ease. I know, we know that little ones need an interesting place to lay on the floor for tummy time and play time, to cover mom while nursing or to cover the car seat when going from inside to outside to the car. So make and give your quilts and bless those families. It is my understanding that Project Linus quilts are generally for those little bit older children, toddlers and up that need that special snugly and comfort blanket while going through a hospital procedure or extended stay. Quilt on debbieoh!
Old 07-23-2014, 08:57 AM

I have two DD and when they were young, they had no end of ear problems so my 'go-to-gift' is a blanket and matching hat. I liked being able to wrap them and have a matching hat. My all time favorite was a leopard flannel that had the hat, and the hat had little ears with pink inside. It was so cute that both of my DD wore it and so did DGD. Leopard may be passé, bit the idea is cute.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:10 AM

Red face

*** If the recipients has nearly nothing
*** I think they would be over joyed to get anything.
*** your Crown will be waiting in Heaven when you arrive.