Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
PLEASE-Need help with baby quilt >

PLEASE-Need help with baby quilt

PLEASE-Need help with baby quilt

Old 08-29-2012, 06:40 PM

One more quick thing I forgot. In reading a lot of posts here on binding, I was thinking that, after I have it together, to sew around the edges to hold them in place, close to the edge (as some said they do before binding), and then do the quilting. Does that make sense?
Polly
Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 AM

I lived in Italy for almost three years. Three things to remember - their machines heat the water and everybody washes baby stuff on high heat, almost boiling so make sure she does not do that. Everything is dried outside on line since driers are few and far in between. And third, absolutely send her color catchers since, as far as I know, the do not have them. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 AM

I have never used Synthrapol, Retayne or color catchers and have no clue as to where to buy these products. Where do you get them other than a large quilt store?
Old 08-30-2012, 07:58 AM

Colour catchers (or the Canadian equivalent, anyway) are available in the laundry aisle at the grocery store here. I've never seen the other 2 prodcuts, but I'd expect to find them in the same place.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Power Poster

Amazon sells all of these products. Here are links so you can see what they look like:
http://www.amazon.com/Craft-Synthrap...dp/B000YZ3UHQ/
http://www.amazon.com/Retayne-Color-...dp/B0089O33IU/
http://www.amazon.com/Shout-Catcher-...dp/B0000DIWJF/

The above are not necessarily the best buys; just so you can see what they are. I had to look up color catchers on Amazon to see what the box looked like, as I simply could not find it on the laundry aisle shelves at first. It's such a small box, I guess I always overlooked it.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:05 PM

Hi What I do first of all finish the quilt completely binding & all then I wash the frist time in cold water and I buy the Cholrine Out that you can buy at Walmart's fish area for adding to fish tanks. It works great then if you want to rewash it in warm water should not have a problem. My friend gave me a quilt all red,white & blues and she had not washed any of the fabric scraps so I tried this method (which I have tried so many times and had good luck) no fading. Your quilt is beautiful I think someone will be very happy to have that quilt. Good Luck. Sds like to be your brain cells are still intact!
P.S. Sorry about any misspelling.

Last edited by Patti Sue; 08-30-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2012, 09:24 PM

Love your pattern and the print panels! Kiddo and parents will love it------------bleedy red or not.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:34 PM

I'm making a pillowcase for the baby's big brother so he won't feel left out. He's nuts about airplanes so found 3 great pieces with lots of planes on it. Was going to use navy blue for the hem/trim on it so got a 2 yd piece of poly/cotton at W-M. Only problem is I can't get it to stop bleeding! Washed and washed, treated with Ratayne and washed again, still bleeding. So back to the drawing board to find a different fabric. I'm going to take the navy back to WM, washed or not! There's no way you could use it in a quilt. Our WMs here haven't put their fabric back yet, this one just had the pieces that hang on the wall. I think I have some lt blue with stars on it so maybe that will work.