Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Postage Stamp Quilts >

Postage Stamp Quilts

Postage Stamp Quilts

Old 03-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I would put the squares in an laundry net bag or onion bag and wash them in the machine. I would not start my collection over. I am doing this with 1 1/2, 2" and 4" and i am joining them by hand as i collect them. One day, I'll just have three quilts. NEVER GIVE UP.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Try spray and washing after the quilt is complete when you wash for the first time. As a new quilter I didn't know to wash the fabrics and this worked for me.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:49 AM

I'm in the process of putting a postage stamp quilt together and some of mine are pre washed and some are not I'm sure because when we did the swap some probably arent pre washed but thats okay cause I will wash when it's done. I wouldn't start over.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM

I don't usually prewash my fabrics, but if you feel that you really must...use a salad spinner! Put the salad spinner in your water filled sink with some liquid detergent and then wash your fabric just like it was a mini washer. You can keep an eye on what is happening to the material and then take it out when you think it is "all done!"
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM

I HAVE MADE TWO POSTAGE STAMP QUILTS ALL SCRAPPY AS SOMEONE WROTE ON HERE I USED THE BROWN BAG METHOD JUST FINISHED A TWIN SIZE MINI TUMBLER BUT NOT QUILTED YET THESE WERE ALL CUT BY HAND PIECED AND QUILTED BY HAND MY FIRST TWO HAD 7200 PIECES IN IT AND WAS 80 WIDE BY 90 LONG THE MINI TUMBLER IS 70 WIDE BY 72 LONG
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 AM

I am pretty sure I saw a new die for 1.5" strips yesterday. That would help some.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:29 AM

I started my postage stamp quilt a couple of years ago using the 1.5" fabric swatches Keepsake Quilting used to send out as leaders/enders. A few months ago I started sewing the pairs into 4-patch blocks but had to square them off to 2.25" inches because not all the swatches were true 1.5", so the finished stamps are 7/8". A few weeks ago I started piecing the 4-patch blocks to make 64-patch blocks when I had an oh-oh moment. I realized the KQ swatches were not prewashed/preshrunk/color set! But I was not about to toss out a dozen or so blocks. :-D Since many quilters do not prewash without problems, I figured I could do the same. I'll wash the finished quilt with a color catcher and hope for the best.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM

I know I've posted this before, but needed to again. I stopped prewashing my fabrics a few years ago. And have never had any problems. Of course, I do use a color catcher when I wash the finished quilt. Now, if I have a very bright color, I will prewash that piece. I also mix up the washed & unwashed pieces I've swapped. Again, never had any problems. Maybe, I've just been lucky.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:15 PM

I do not pre wash any of my fabric and have never had a problem.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:27 PM

I use "Shout Color Catcher" 24 sheets to a box, find in the laundry section of the store.