Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Preventing 1/4" seams from Unravelling >

Preventing 1/4" seams from Unravelling

Preventing 1/4" seams from Unravelling

Old 11-04-2012, 06:46 AM
Banned

If your seams are ravelling then the 1/4" is not the issue. I have old wuilts that have 1/8" or less and they have been washed many times and never ravelled. So stop worrying about it. There are plenty of over seams and wuilting to hold it. If you toss a iece of fabric in the wash does it ravel 1/4". Probably not. S stop worrying.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I actually did have this happen on one of my first quilts and I think it's because I was using cheaper fabric which was probably looser woven (as a beginner). but since using quality fabric, never had this happen since.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:23 AM

I have had "STORE" bought quilts ravel to death. But I have my grandmother-in-laws quilts that I wash constantly still in great shape. Hers were all done by hand sewen and quilted and no problem. Why is that? I guess it gets down to quality and care. I am new to quilting and just for safety's sake I am fray checking every seam. Of course the teachers are just shaking thier heads at me.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:39 AM

If the cotton still unravels easily after washing and drying, then only use it in a quilt that will be closely quilted. Otherwise, it's generally a non-issue.

I've purchased fabric that easily ravelled before it was washed and dried. Washing and drying stabilized it nicely.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:41 AM

I just had this happen to me on my very first quilt! I used a jelly roll pattern and I think some of the strips were frayed to begin with and I didn't notice. Now I am stuck trying to figure out how to fix where they came undone
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I will only use a scant 1/4" when absolutely necessary, like where several seams meet together. Even then, if you use a standard 1/4" seam it can always be trimmed down to keep things neat. Standard 1/4" also lays better when pressing.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:51 PM

Since I tie mine I have had trouble with the seams fraying. Does that make a difference? It is ones I have made for my granddaughter and daughter. They get used a lot and are washed a lot. Seems I'm always fixinf them. Does it make a difference if they are made of flannel?
Old 11-04-2012, 03:39 PM

Good quality fabric will not ravel with 1/4 inch seams. Poor quality fabric will ravel with a 1/4 inch seam.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:21 PM

Unless you are just using the top, unquilted, no batting, and no backing, I can't see how the seams would ravel. I have once in a great while, had a seam pull apart because it was a scant 1/4" or a loose weave fabric. When the seams are enclosed in the quilt sandwich, there is little chance of the seams raveling, IMO.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
It is important to have one's stitch balanced - I have noticed that a seam will pop if one of the threads is really tight and is just 'floating' on the surface.

I really hated to redo those seams - but when that thread pulled out soooo easily - - it was worth the effort.
In addition to the quality of products used, I really think that a lot of issues can be solved if your machine is working well. No you don't have to have an expensive machine (that is a matter of choice) and I have seen many successul quilters that use vintage or "cheaper" machines. I personally don't know how to explain this but if you are having issues I would ask around at my LQS/Quilt Guild/anywhere you can find experienced sewers to teach you about Tension. With the newer threads available (Aurifil/Masterpiece/etc.) that even though they are 50 wt like Star/Guetterman/Connecting Threads, they actually run through your machine smoother or like a little smaller thread. I think that this is the area that a high percentage of us are not knowlegable. I know that Superior Threads has some great information on Needles and believe that they also do on Tension. Anyone who has any other good sources that might be a great topic. Sorry I am rambling - listening to a conference call for work at the same time