Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
prewashing and fraying >

prewashing and fraying

prewashing and fraying

Old 07-29-2011, 06:17 AM

How much washing does new fabric really need? I soak fabric in the wash water, agitate a couple of seconds and then dial in a quick spin. Do the same with the rinse cycle. Minimum fray. Small cuts are swished in the sink or a pan, rinsed and without wringing, hung or laid on a towel to dry, all by hand. A white towel will really let you see any bleeding.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by MaryAnnMc
I agree, everything I've tried still frays. But I've decided to stick with pinking: it does cut down on the fraying considerably, and I can always tell which fabrics in my stash have been washed. that alone is a good reason.
I find hand washing fabrics minimizes the fraying, But I count on fraying to rip my selves straight. Pinking or making some kind of mark to tell washed from unwashed is a great idea. Thanks
Old 07-29-2011, 06:27 AM

I take pinking shears to all my fabric. I don't have my own washer yet so to laundry mat I go so when laundry time comes I just pink the fabric that needs washing. While it doesn't completely eliminate fraying it cut down on it enough.

I just bought a cheapo lingerie bag that I will be putting my fabric into so it doesn't just get lost with the rest of the laundry.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by anniep
I don't wash my fabric, and many of my friends do not. I was told that if you buy quality fabric, it will be fine. I'm feeling doubtful after reading all of your comments.
Everything has "quality" - good, bad, and/or indifferent.

As far as I know, Michael Miller is considered "good" - at any rate, I purchased some of the black - which is a lovely inky black, even if I consider it to be a bit coarse - and that has a bit of excess dye in it. It also shrinks - over two inches in width.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

I used somone's advice on here and folded and pinned pieces of fabric (over 1/2 yard) and it seemed to no fray as much.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 AM

PB Blaster now has a "dry" one that leaves no greasy residue and works as well. don't remember the exact name but PB Blaster is on the label.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM

All I can say is that, when I don't trim the edges, I have threads wrapped around the whole fabric. It turned out much better when I clipped the corners.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:10 AM

I always serge or zigzag the raw edge, NO fraying, have done this for years.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by matraina
All I can say is that, when I don't trim the edges, I have threads wrapped around the whole fabric. It turned out much better when I clipped the corners.
This is why I started pinking the edges.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM
Banned

fraying happens i've learned to live with it. If I don't want it to happen, I wash in the sink, let dry a little and iron it dry. This, of course, doesn't work with yardage.
I had rather clip the mess off the edges rather than take time serger and zig zagging. I do clip corners tho. If I should pink, i get one of the pinking blades for my rotary cutter. Is faster than with pinking shears.