Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The price of change. >

The price of change.

The price of change.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When I encounter terrible customer service from employees of a store, I dig in. I make it almost impossible for them to ignore me. I ask as many questions as I can think of, I ask to be shown many many items, I ask about sales, quality, price comparisons, if they can't answer I ask to speak to the manager or ask the manager for the number to the home office. I will make a purchase but only after I have gotten the price of the item in their time spent with me. After a few times of this, I am greeted by name and helped as fast and nice as possible to get me out of there. LOL
Not to sound mean, but I'm wondering if this has really let them know about THEIR problem, or just turned it into a different one.... "Oh no, here comes that difficult customer. Let's be nice to her and maybe she will leave right away?"
Old 11-09-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by momski
Originally Posted by Conniequilts
This is good news! I am still waiting to hear of this same change taking place in my local JoAnns.
Maybe I can send her your way when she finishs up here ;)
And maybe down my way??? :D
Old 11-09-2010, 12:01 PM

What a nice change. Since hubby works in retail and does nothing but deal face to face with all kinds of people, I know how much it means to him if a customer says something nice, some even write to him or the manager about what a good job he's done. Makes me more aware to do that when I'm out and about. It only takes a few minutes to leave that positive feedback. I'm glad you did and had such a nice experience to share.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lilaciris
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
When I encounter terrible customer service from employees of a store, I dig in. I make it almost impossible for them to ignore me. I ask as many questions as I can think of, I ask to be shown many many items, I ask about sales, quality, price comparisons, if they can't answer I ask to speak to the manager or ask the manager for the number to the home office. I will make a purchase but only after I have gotten the price of the item in their time spent with me. After a few times of this, I am greeted by name and helped as fast and nice as possible to get me out of there. LOL
Not to sound mean, but I'm wondering if this has really let them know about THEIR problem, or just turned it into a different one.... "Oh no, here comes that difficult customer. Let's be nice to her and maybe she will leave right away?"
My thoughts, too.

Two wrongs usually don't make one right.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:47 PM

In my own Joann's some time ago, I went in to find bobbins for my new Brother, which did not seem to like my Singer ones. I had, of course, put the manual in "a safe place" which is still safe because I can't find it. (Later, much later I downloaded one from the Internet. Why I didn't do that first I don't know).
The young lady who waited on me said she didn't know either, BUT took out her own cell phone, asked my Brother's number and checked with the online Brother site. She got the number of my bobbins and led the poor old lady to where they were located. I was so charmed by her actions I told the check out lady, who handed me a form to fill out about the clerk, which I was glad to do. I hope it went on her permanent work record, it sure did make me feel better. And the Brother has worked nicely since.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Power Poster

I think it is so nice that you let them know. We so often forget the positive experiences until we get a bad one, then that's all we think about!! :D
Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Customer service is more important than a sale or what's in the store. Also, a good customer. I hate when people come into any business, and no matter what the bad experience, make it worse. I used to think it was just the employee's fault, until I realized once that she had personal problems happen. Still, maybe she should have gone home, or called in. And then, she was maybe needing the pay, they couldn't find someone to work her shift, or something happened that she couldn't leave. Always circumstances beyond what we're knowing. I think if someone is simply grumpy and hard on customers, any business will not keep them around. But I like to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, at least once. Then if I return and have problems again, I'll seek out the manager/owner and discretely explain. If they have a nasty attitude as well, then I'm sorry, but I tend to "warn" friends and family about that business.
I'm glad you returned, even if in need, they got a second chance. We have Hobby Lobby near and the manager there NEEDS to be removed, they have horrible employee turn around, and I reported him to corporate. If they care, change will happen. Sometimes, it's not a good fit, worker and job. I do not buy from Hobby Lobby because of him. I will in other towns, but not here, and yes, I know he's still working. One of my favorite quilt shops also has an owner with attitude, won't return. She actually yelled at a customer, the other 6 customers in store, looked at each other and walked out, me among them, and I wasn't the one being yelled at. "She didn't have time for this lady to make up her mind", the lady had several bolts of fabric...no time? Then what are you in business for?
Customer service IS your business.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:19 AM

That is great news! I'm so glad you let us know about this positive change.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:31 AM

I was just about to start a new thead on stupid JoAnn's cutters. Gal I ended up with the other day doesn't know how to cut. I asked for 1 1/3 yards of the reindeer fabric. I had to tell her 12 inches for a third and then whe started to move to the 12" mark by way of the 36" end of the marker. So I told her that would be 1 2/3. @@ After she finally cut the 1 1/3 yards she moved over to another cutter and apparently whispered how much 1 1/3 was in decimals. I heard the answer 1.33. I just covered my eyes and shook my head.

I will add that this kind of ignorance is rare at my JoAnn's. I've had worse at Wally World when a cutter is on break and you get the underwear girl or whoever is handy. Don't ask. That is a loooooooooong story.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
In my own Joann's some time ago, I went in to find bobbins for my new Brother, which did not seem to like my Singer ones. I had, of course, put the manual in "a safe place" which is still safe because I can't find it. (Later, much later I downloaded one from the Internet. Why I didn't do that first I don't know).
The young lady who waited on me said she didn't know either, BUT took out her own cell phone, asked my Brother's number and checked with the online Brother site. She got the number of my bobbins and led the poor old lady to where they were located. I was so charmed by her actions I told the check out lady, who handed me a form to fill out about the clerk, which I was glad to do. I hope it went on her permanent work record, it sure did make me feel better. And the Brother has worked nicely since.
This is way off the track but years ago I was in Target looking for a white Power Range costume for my GS. The gal I got had pastel colored hair, too many earrings in her ears, two hands full of rings ------but the most charming personality. She took me thru the regular costumes and also the boys PJs. We didnt find anything I wanted, but she was an absolute doll and very willing to help. And I told management on the way out, too. I still think of her when someone disses kids with way out clothing and jewelery.