Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Price of fat quarters in your area of the world >

Price of fat quarters in your area of the world

Price of fat quarters in your area of the world

Old 07-25-2015, 04:18 PM

Wow what a difference between some countries!
I wonder why? Especially since almost all fabrics are not printed in the USA.
I might have answered my own question. I know huge rolls of fabric come in and then are wound on to the smaller cardboard pieces for shipping to quilt stores, but America can't be the only country that does this for quilting fabric.
I know I've been in quilt stores here that have had other quilters from various countries buy huge amounts of fabric and either ship it home or take extra suitcases......and they say they are saving money doing it this way.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:19 PM

I have the good fortune of living just north of Baltimore, MD, within 20 miles of 4 quilt shops, so the competition keeps the prices between 2.50 and 3.50 per FQ, usually.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:31 PM

We just raised our FQ price to $3.25 each. We're at $9.99 to 12.39 per yd. But where I work, we give 20% off the bolt price every day.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:18 AM

After seeing what quilters pay for fabric oversees, I should do less complaining. I try not to make "spur of the moment" purchases; especially when I take a good hard look at my stash.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:28 AM
Power Poster

FQ'S run $2.75-$3.50 in my area. Fabric prices are getting crazy here.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:00 AM

Ditto from Eastern Canada! Fabric is around $16 per meter, but Flare Fabrics and Sew Sisters are online sources and have sales and free Canadian shipping. I don't usually buy fat quarters, because with the good cotton, they're often $4 and I don't want the cheap stuff. I'd rather buy yardage.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:03 AM

Seems to be GB£3-£4 per fat quarter here (approx. US$4.65 - $6.20 at today's conversion rates) - increasingly more towards the £4 end

Don't normally expect to pay a premium for fat quarters vs. yardage here - cost is usually just the yardage cost divided by 4

I am one who will make the most of US stores who do international shipping. I can easily pay a half to a third of what I would pay over here as long as I'm careful balancing amounts against the shipping rates. And if there is a sale...
Old 07-26-2015, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

I live on Long Island NY>
our fat Quarters run crazy, JA's usually 2.99 on sale from $1 to $2.
Lqs is about $2.49 -$3.49 depending on the fabrics of course.
I get batiks when they are on sale at JA's or with a coupon
Old 07-26-2015, 11:26 AM

In Missouri, the local Hancock's Fabric (Not Hancock's of Paducah) has fat quarters on sale pretty frequently for 99 cents, or 1.49. The fabric is not as nice as quilt shop fabric, but it's ok.
I can't imagine having to pay the high prices that our European friends pay. But then, other things are cheaper there, (or free) that we pay dearly for in the states. So maybe it balances out?
Old 07-26-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinePaj View Post
Hi Guys,

here re in the UK fabric runs at approximately £12 - £16 per metre which is exactly 39 inches. So in dollars that would be $19 -$25. Also, we don't have coupons like you do in the US and we seldom see fabric sales! Wish we had a Joanns.

hugs

Caroline
I'm not sure you do. Joann's fabric is composed of 2 types of quilting fabrics: very low thread density fabrics that I've literally had go thread bear just from handling them in the piecing process, and rejects from better manufacturers like Robert Kaufman that are typically either misprints or well off grain. They're great for practice quilts, not so wonderful after that. Their thread is not much better. It would shred on me all the time. I thought that's just what thread did until I bought my first spool of Aurifil. Now I'm spoiled & won't buy anything else.

Quilt Shops almost never have sales or offer coupons. The ones around here offer a 15% off coupon that you can use once per store once a year in the summer, during Shop Hop. It's a great deal, but hard to buy all the fabrics I need at one time.

I do like Joann's for notions & batting. I love it when I can get a roll of Warm & Plush batting at 50-60% off (have to order it online) + an additional 10% off of that because I belong to American Quilter's Society. I always feel like I've won the lottery. It would be nice if you had a Joann or Hobby Lobby just for the notions.