Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t148663.html)

kiffie2413 08-28-2011 09:28 PM

I also am "resourceful"..just careful with dark threads on light and vice-versa...when I have used burgundy bobbin with red top for instance, you absolutely cannot tell it...I also will take with me if I am doing hand sewing, and use them that way, too...I can't see wasting all of that thread!!

wolfkitty 08-28-2011 09:36 PM

I have a couple spools that were empty, but now have 3 or 4 small amounts of different colors of thread because I wouldn't throw away the thread, but I needed the bobbin, so I put the thread on the spare spool. Then it's available to use up whenever I can, when the color doesn't matter.

tellabella 08-28-2011 09:39 PM

Great idea....bobbins driving me nuts..the part that really bugs me is I can't remember which bobbins are 100% cotton or something else...

Lacelady 08-29-2011 12:19 AM

I use my partial bobbins on the top of the machine, where I can keep an eye on them, and rethreading is less trouble.

emerald46 08-29-2011 01:02 AM

I use a light/med gray on all my piecing, blends right in.

SueDor 08-29-2011 01:44 AM

I do it also.

dd 08-29-2011 04:43 AM

I just took a class on scrappy pineapple and was specifically told to use up those old bobbins of odd thread. After all they are scraps too. I have so many more spools to use now.

PurplePassion 08-29-2011 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

I do the same thing too. This works out good for scrappy blocks.

Chicca 08-29-2011 05:58 AM

Oh yes, I do that all the time!

Carol J. 08-29-2011 06:08 AM

I use mine up that way too, so I have empty bobbins when I need them. I just use them, and don't worry about if one is cotton or the other polyester unless it is a new project that demands one or the other. The seams in the back of the quilt will hold together anyway. Look at those made 50 to100 years ago, they didn't have polyester anything in those days and the quilts are still alive and well.
One thing I found out thought, don't let a spool of thread sit on the thread holder above the bobbin winder, I found it wound around inside the machine on something and lots of it, all different colors, had to cut it off that rod with a fine scissors. No more thread on top of the machine besides the one I am using, I learned my lesson and now have a bobbin winder on the side.

Carol J.

CarolJ.