Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Am I the only one? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/am-i-only-one-t148663.html)

Annie68 08-29-2011 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by lynn_z
I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

I do that all the time ;-)

lynndianne 08-29-2011 06:17 AM

What a great idea. I don't know how many partial bobbins I have. Thanks,

Lynn :thumbup:

0tis 08-29-2011 07:42 AM

Sometimes I use partial bobbins to piece with and sometimes I will use them for hand sewing the binding - I don't want to waste the thread thats leftover.

Becka 08-29-2011 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I take thread from partiallly emptied bobbins and use when i am hand basting my quilt sandwiches.

Great idea! i have scads of partial bobbins and a sandwich to baste. I'm so glad I came here first!

SMR 08-29-2011 11:27 AM

I had the same problem until I decided to mark the bobbbin wih a permanent marker with c for cotton, b for bobbin weight for machine embroidery. seems to be working for me

Originally Posted by tellabella
Great idea....bobbins driving me nuts..the part that really bugs me is I can't remember which bobbins are 100% cotton or something else...

lyndaloo 08-29-2011 12:40 PM

I eventually end up with a lot of bobbins half filled with every color in the book so my solution is to start putting blocks together with any bobbin that needs to be emptied. I am currently finishing up some Christmas quilt tops and am emptying bobbins to reload with all one color for the actual quilting. Does that make sense? Odd colors shouldn't show up...every block is different so have lots of colors in the squares. Am I just lazy or cheap? Will the quilt police come & hunt me down?

I do the same.

Buckeye Rose 08-29-2011 12:43 PM

I have done the same....use whatever color bobbins or thread I have to piece the top.....you will never see that thread. I have to be thrifty when I can! :lol: :thumbup: :lol:

purplefiend 08-29-2011 12:46 PM

When I'm piecing scrap quilts I use up all my partially filled bobbins, one in the bobbin case & one on top. It works great.
The quilt police haven't found out yet. :lol:

sewmary 08-29-2011 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I have done the same....use whatever color bobbins or thread I have to piece the top.....you will never see that thread. I have to be thrifty when I can! :lol: :thumbup: :lol:

Me too as well as use up dribs and drabs left on spools of thread.

tmg 08-29-2011 12:47 PM

I use my left over bobbins for piecing all the time. Just not the dark colored ones.