Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Auch, i cut myself with the rotary cutter; be careful girls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/auch-i-cut-myself-rotary-cutter%3B-careful-girls-t19827.html)

k3n 05-07-2009 08:43 AM

BTW Nina - hope you didn't get blood on your fabric! LOL

K x

shaverg 05-07-2009 09:11 AM

It is a clear acrylic guard, that attaches to your ruler. They come in different sizes. I have seen them at different quilt shops. I think I also saw them a Beverly's which is a craft and fabric shop.

sunnyhope 05-07-2009 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
BTW Nina - hope you didn't get blood on your fabric! LOL

K x

Nope, i was lucky :mrgreen:

PS, shaverg do you have any pics?

Kara 05-07-2009 09:27 AM

I've had several rotary cutter injuries. None as bad as yours sounds. But they hurt! :cry:

I've also tried to sew my finger. Fortunately it didn't break off in my finger - that could've been bad...

Quilting/Sewing is not a safe "sport"...

carrieg 05-07-2009 09:36 AM

OUCH! That's no small cut.

DH has always told me a dull knife is more dangerous.

I try to remember to wear shoes when cutting. Don't want to drop the darn thing on my foot!

Knot Sew 05-07-2009 09:41 AM

I know everyone has a fit about it but I still use my wall paper knife for most of my cutting It uses razor blades...I have never cut myself with it...but then my blades are about $10.00 per 100 so I change them often...I have several rotary cutters but darn they get dull fast. I also have nicked my fingers a lot...I'm just use to my little red :D Hope your finger heals fast

Ninnie 05-07-2009 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by sunnyhope
I managed to cut back and forth cause the fabric was trhich and i felt the cutter wasnt sharp enough,,,,, well it mite not be sharp enough for those fabric layers but it was def sharp enough to make an inch wide and half inch deep wound in my knee :oops: :oops: :oops:

I did that once, it fell and hit my leg, still have the scar. Nice to know that I am not alone.

Ninnie

Quilt4u 05-07-2009 09:42 AM

Ouch!!!! I've cut myself but never my knees.

bearisgray 05-07-2009 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Dull blades are more dangerous than sharp.LOL

This is true.

A sharp blade usually cuts properly the first time.

carrieg - says to wear shoes while cutting - another good idea.

Hope you recover quickly from your cut. At least it was a "clean" cut.

You probably bled profusely.

I cut off the very end of my left middle finger. Still feels weird.

CindyBee 05-07-2009 02:26 PM

Nina, sorry to hear about your injury! I hope all is well in a few days. I just purchased a new rotary cutter yesterday. Can you believe I broke one? The plastic slide thingy that retracts the blade broke, so the blade was unable to retract. I was so nervous using it that I went out the next day and bought a new one. I like the new one. It's an Olfa with ergonomic handle and the blade retracts automatically!