Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Auch, i cut myself with the rotary cutter; be careful girls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/auch-i-cut-myself-rotary-cutter%3B-careful-girls-t19827.html)

sunnyhope 05-07-2009 04:30 AM

I managed to cut back and forth cause the fabric was trhich and i felt the cutter wasnt sharp enough,,,,, well it mite not be sharp enough for those fabric layers but it was def sharp enough to make an inch wide and half inch deep wound in my knee :oops: :oops: :oops:

beachlady 05-07-2009 04:32 AM

In your knee? How did you manage that? OUCH!!!!

shaverg 05-07-2009 04:40 AM

Ouch, I finally bought a guard and a suchion handle. I have had too many friends that have cut themselves really bad.

But it wouldn't have helped for the knee. I have the same question. How did you do that?

sunnyhope 05-07-2009 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Ouch, I finally bought a guard and a suchion handle. I have had too many friends that have cut themselves really bad.

But it wouldn't have helped for the knee. I have the same question. How did you do that?

what kind of a guard?

well i sat while i was cutting cause i have trouble standing and since i didnt feel it cut well enough when i cut from me i tried cutting back and forth and then it just slipped cause i was just a lot more tired than i thought i was :oops: :roll: :wink:

I know i have new blades somewhere,lol.............................

sharon b 05-07-2009 06:20 AM

So sorry to hear of the injury... who says sewing is a safe hobby ? :wink: Take care of that knee
Sharon

Shemjo 05-07-2009 06:28 AM

Oh, do be wary of the falling rotary cutters! Hope you cleaned the wound carefully and are getting the rest you need! I think I have seen cautions on heavy machinery that say do not operate if you are taking medication, I think we need them on Rotary cutters as well! Do NOT operate while TIRED! :lol:

k3n 05-07-2009 06:34 AM

Ouch! poor you! I was in a quilt shop in England the other week and the man showed me a tip when cutting - put your little finger off the edge of the ruler on the mat, much less likely to slip. Don't know how you reached your knee though!

K x

sunnyhope 05-07-2009 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Ouch! poor you! I was in a quilt shop in England the other week and the man showed me a tip when cutting - put your little finger off the edge of the ruler on the mat, much less likely to slip. Don't know how you reached your knee though!

K x

cause i was sitting not standing :oops:

and yes its very well cleaned and i nearly needed stitches but mums a nurse and used somekind of strips to hold the wound edges close so there will be minimum of scaring but it does really hurt.
i am so silly and my mum says well i told u so, i told u 2 stop argggggggggggggg :lol:

pocoellie 05-07-2009 08:07 AM

Dull blades are more dangerous than sharp.LOL

Jim's Gem 05-07-2009 08:25 AM

Be careful. Make sure you keep it clean and don't let it get infected!!!
I used to sit all the time while cutting as well, when I was cutting at my dining room table. Now I have a cutting table and it is at a good height for standing.