Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Great grandma's quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-grandmas-quilt-t172803.html)

Cagey 12-21-2011 05:52 PM

Great grandma's quilt

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this works - first time sending a picture. Whew! Sorry about starting a new thread but forgot where I was on the board.

Here is the picture of the quilt blocks my Great Grandmother made back in the 1930ish. I just finished sewing half of it together. When its done it will be about 50 x 64. There is an assortment of colors so had to improvise a design. The 3 gray blocks on the left will be in the center when I get it done. These blocks have been in a shoe box for over 50 years at my aunts house and she finally sent them to me. Guess I'm the only one in the family that has an appreciation of family quilts. I would have rather hand sewed them but since I have never done that, I thought she would forgive me - at least it looks like a quilt now. I have to tell you that every single star point and seam lined up perfectly with the others and it was all done by hand. Doubt if they had rotary cutters back then. I'm so honored to be able to complete this quilt for her. I hope she is smiling down on me. It sure felt like her hands were guiding me through this project.

erstan947 12-21-2011 05:56 PM

What a treasure you have. So glad you have it and really appreciate the work that was put in it. Wonderful save!

sarahrachel 12-21-2011 06:16 PM

it looks wonderful! and isn't it amazing the accuracy they had without all our new fangled things and we still can't be accurate?? I also have a quilt top of my great grandmother's and am determined to work on it next year and maybe finish it

Bobbielinks 12-21-2011 06:21 PM

How wonderful!!! Just yesterday my cousin in Georgia sent me a quilt top that our Granny had pieced (she passed away in 1975). I was thrilled when I opened the box as I had no idea what he had sent. It is the same pattern as yours, pieced with some cottons, some percale and some ticking. I will try to post a picture tomorrow.

cindyw 12-21-2011 06:22 PM

You've done a great job and how wonderful to have a quilt full of memories from your great grandmother. Lucky you!

Snoflak 12-21-2011 06:26 PM

Beautiful!

Gladys 12-21-2011 06:41 PM

You did a great job and I bet she's smiling down on you from above.

Jingle 12-21-2011 06:50 PM

Beautiful, you did a great job on this. Your GGM would be so proud to know someone thought it worthy of being made.

breezyquilts 12-21-2011 07:24 PM

That is awesome and the blocks are lovely. How wonderful to work on a quilt that your great grandmother worked on, that is so special.

Lori S 12-21-2011 08:20 PM

Quilts are even more special when more than one generation has contributed. What a great family heritage you have continued. Will you put her name and your name on the back?