Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I just wanna spit (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-just-wanna-spit-t38093.html)

paintedquilt 02-27-2010 10:19 AM

I had 8 strips to sew together. I didn't have very much thread in my machine but I thought I was OK. I checked my bobbin thread and it looked OK ...

Finished the strips with thread left over - Great.

Took the strips to cut them apart and.... they fell apart. I had run out of bobbin thread :!: :oops: :!: I'll be glad when my new machine gets here 'cause it has a low bobbin indicator.

Just wanted to vent :hunf:

RatherB Quilting 02-27-2010 10:23 AM

OH MY GOSH! Sewing machines come with low bobbin indicators????? I NEED one of those! I cannot TELL you how many times the bobbin eating monster has attacked me! I hear it giggle with every seam I sew! It usually strikes within the first three inches of a border seam...which I don't notice till I reach the end!

redrummy 02-27-2010 10:34 AM

I had that problem this week. I was using up the bobbin thread from the embroifery machine, hate to waste it, and thought I was watching it closly. Wrong. It got me. more than once...lots more. I was sewing away, thinking I was making headway on these 2 I am piecing...oh well, I got to use up a lot of the partial bobbins anyway.

Olivia's Grammy 02-27-2010 10:48 AM

I have a Brother with the low bobbin light. It comes on when the bobbin is half empty. By the time it runs out I've forgotten is was low. I didn't really like that feature for that reason. When looking for a new machine that was not one of the features "I had to have."

Up North 02-27-2010 11:15 AM

I have a brother SE 350 and it refuses to sew if the bobbin thread is running out or if the top thread breaks. Love, hate that feature! Especially when I have 2 inches to go and know the bobbin thread left will make it!!

blahel 02-27-2010 06:24 PM

yes that is a feature that i want on my next machine..

Chasing Hawk 02-27-2010 06:26 PM

low bobbin thread indicator, just like the low fuel alarm on my truck.
But, do we pay heed to this alarm? I am guilty of waiting till the fumes are almost evaporated before filling up. ..haha

Quilter7x 02-27-2010 06:26 PM

My Janome 9000 has the bobbin indicator and I love it. It will continue to sew but give you a message on the screen every so often. If I run out, it's my own fault because by then, I've had at least 3 warnings.

I used a friend's Bernina over the weekend and she didn't have a bobbin indicator on it. I ran out of bobbin thread twice! Now I know that's a feature I can't live without.

OK, I just put the umbrella up ... you can spit now. :D

pittsburgpam 02-27-2010 07:19 PM

Something that is good and bad about my Viking Sapphire. When the bobbin thread is almost out, like just inches left, it loses the tension and it sews badly. I can always tell that the bobbin is about out when I say, "what the ????" because it's screwing up.

MollieSue 02-27-2010 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Olivia's Grammy
I have a Brother with the low bobbin light. It comes on when the bobbin is half empty. By the time it runs out I've forgotten is was low.

This so sounds like something I would do! lol!!!!!!

I don't notice I've run out of bobbin thread until I go to iron the piece so often that I've almost come to expect it! lol!!!!
:) :)