Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I lied to my husband (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-lied-my-husband-t188498.html)

ube quilting 05-09-2012 12:21 PM

Sorry, but how many hobbies does he have and what do they cost ? how many years have you taken care of him? I would let him find out how much you paid and be proud of how much you saved not buying the new one. I remember one year when I was new to quilting I actually spent 3000. on fabric and stuff for sewing. I now spend almost nothing on quilting. I am far from rich and my DH just said ' if it's what you like dear'. He has always been very supportive of my one hobby and vice versa. There should be no guilt about living and doing what you love. Hope he will be reasonable with you.
peace

EDIT: ICON, very funny!

cwessel47 05-09-2012 12:21 PM

Just have the wisdom to tell the difference. Truth - good. Lying - not good. I don't know what your financial situation is. It does come into play here. If you feel guilty - you aren't going to enjoy it.

SUZAG 05-09-2012 12:25 PM

Does he have any hobbies and/or tools that he buys? Do you question the price? Does he always ask you before he buys?

BellaBoo 05-09-2012 01:28 PM

I can't relate to this so I don't know what to suggest. I can't imagine DH getting angry over anything I buy if I discuss it with him or not. It has never crossed my mind to think he would. He's my DH not someone I will ever tip toe around.

burchquilts 05-09-2012 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pam S (Post 5205096)
Oh, I agree with you. i don't lie but sometimes I don't volunteer either.

That's my policy, too... info on a strictly need-to-know basis. I'd tell him, let him flip out, remind him it was my money & then go sew... IMHO.

nhweaver 05-09-2012 01:37 PM

It is hard not to stretch the truth, and what is done is done. My suggestion is not to dwell on the issue, and own up to telling the truth. Let him know that using the quilt cut 2 will prevent the rotor cuff damage that happens with regular cutting.

Neesie 05-09-2012 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider (Post 5205300)
Since you asked...
Lying about it was bad enough, but deciding not to come clean quickly just makes it worse. Your only concern seems to be about easing your own conscience, not about undermining your husband's trust in you and the damage that can do to a relationship. Perhaps it's time to examine your priorities.

That's pretty harsh! Seems to me, her priorities are right where they should be - maintaining a good relationship, with her dh, and preserving his trust in her. She made a mistake and feels badly about it . . . but sometimes it's better to bear one's own guilt, than to come clean and inflict pain upon another. She's the only one who knows how confessing would affect her dh's feelings.

Jingle 05-09-2012 01:46 PM

My Husband never asks what I pay for anything, so I don't say. Some men think God put them on earth to run a woman's life. I have bought dogs my Husband didn't want me to buy, but he ends up in a short time to be crazy about them. Money isn't the issue, just thinks it is his place to give his permission, which he hasn't. I am an adult and I insist on living my life and making my decisions, after all I work also and I am the care givers for the pets.
Do as you see fit.

sahm4605 05-09-2012 01:46 PM

I am sorry to bring this bug into the room but you said that its your money and he thinks that it is both of yours. Maybe its time to set up one bank account. I have found that having two accounts can damage a relationship. I and the rest of us don't know the home or financial situation, but maybe its time for the two of you to sit down and have a very frank and loving discussion about your marriage and about the finances and bank accounts. When my hubby and I married our concealer said that no matter who makes the money it is always best to talk about how it is going to be spent and have only one account to keep both parties from feeling like the other has more power or more control in the relationship. and if you think about it when you get married two become one and everything is shared. money, chores, love, work. if you have a "safety net" as one lady in a good relationship but ready to bolt at a moments notice said that she needed to have her safety net to help her if her relationship failed. I told her that unless it was an abusive relationship where he verbably or physically hurt her then maybe she was hoping that it would fail. anyhoo I digress. I say talk to your hubby, not specifically about the purchase but about the separation of the money. and why you feel that it is just your money and not his too. hope this helps.

Crqltr 05-09-2012 01:59 PM

I would also tell him the truth..but in doing so I would also point out why you fibbed..I have told my husband if he talks down to me when explaining something to him I will no longer tell him anything .. It made him more understanding and I tell him more because he won't be yelling about it.