Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I lied to my husband (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-lied-my-husband-t188498.html)

jcrow 05-09-2012 09:25 AM

I lied to my husband

I won a QuiltCut 2 on ebay a few days ago! Every time I found a used one, I would be outbid, but this time I actually won it! I've been wanting one for so long. My husband thinks I spend way too much money on my quilting to begin with so I lied to him about how much it cost me. I told him what they go for brand new and then told him I paid half that price. He wasn't impressed with that. Now I'm feeling guilty for lying but if I tell him that I paid quite a bit more, I don't know how he'll react to that. It was my money, but he says it was our money. I paid less than $180 for it, but I told him I paid less than that. What should I do? I tried to explain how the Go baby cost so much more because you have to buy dies and mats all the time but it didn't help. I don't know if I should keep my mouth shut or confess. It hasn't even arrived yet.

peaceandjoy 05-09-2012 09:31 AM

If I found myself in that position, I'd have to confess - having that hang over my head would keep me from ever enjoying it! What might seem like a small, spur of the moment lie can turn into a major issue.

bearisgray 05-09-2012 09:40 AM

OOPS! - I have also learned that it's better to NOT lie . Doesn't mean I volunteer everything I know now, either, though.

To paraphrase some of the characters from the Jean M. Auel series:

We don't lie.
But we don't need to tell anything if we are not asked, either.

Raggiemom 05-09-2012 09:41 AM

I don't always volunter how much I paid for something but if asked, I'll tell him. Lies too often come back and bite you in the backside unfortunately. That being said, only you know what's best for your relationship.

Chasing Hawk 05-09-2012 09:41 AM

First off, I wouldn't have fibbed. Secondly, you only saved $50.00.

I would tell him, all he can do is pitch a fit.

Pam S 05-09-2012 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5205064)
OOPS! - I have also learned that it's better to NOT lie . Doesn't mean I volunteer everything I know now, either, though.

To paraphrase some of the characters from the Jean M. Auel series:

We don't lie.
But we don't need to tell anything if we are not asked, either.

Oh, I agree with you. i don't lie but sometimes I don't volunteer either.

JNCT14 05-09-2012 10:05 AM

Remember that most hobbies require good tools to produce good results. Point out that inferior products for home improvement produce lousy results....

sharon b 05-09-2012 10:07 AM

Will you be able to use it and enjoy it knowing you lied to him about it ? Why was hubby so against you getting one ?

Neesie 05-09-2012 10:14 AM

I wouldn't have lied, in the first place, since I don't believe in spousal allowances. If I want to buy something, I have the sense to know whether or not we can afford it; my dh feels the same way. However, since you did lie about it, I'd weigh my options very carefully. How much harm will it do now, to tell him you lied? Forget about "clearing your conscience" and think how it will affect his feelings and your relationship. Will he forgive and forget . . . or will it cause him to have trouble trusting you, in the future?

Another question - Is there a way he'll find out about your lie, if you don't confess? If he's going to find out, it's better coming from you. If not, I'd keep quiet and try to forgive myself for fibbing.

luvTooQuilt 05-09-2012 10:18 AM

Since your posting the question seems to me you feel guilty.. So just tell him the cost and tell him why you felt the need to lie and tell him that that lying doesnt solve anything thats why you are telling him the truth now..

He may or may not pitch a fit.. But on all actuality the fit may be more about the lying than the actual cost..

BUT...

you got your Altos so smile...

I too dont volunteer any info but when asked I will tell.. He teases me on my purchases but anything under $300 with cash or debit card I dont need to confer.. its the purchases on the AmEx that i need to let him know BEFORE the bill comes in..