Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My flannel stash from Joann's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-flannel-stash-joanns-t169852.html)

SharonTX 11-26-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4722043)
I've made about 8 rag quilts from Joannes flannel and I have to say I've not been really thrilled. This is just an FYI..not a criticism. But, it pills terribly. After all the work of prewashing(you'd think the fabric would pill and be done with it at that phase) and then making the quilt, the wash to get it to rag makes the quilts come out looking all messy and pilled. I've had to spend as much as an hour on each one with a lint brush or picking the pills off by hand. I also bought at a Black Friday and thought it was a great deal. But, I've learned the quality manufacturer fabric doesn't pill this way. So, just know that you'll be spending quite a bit of time doing clean-up on this fabric:< Which may be worth the saving to you....just letting you know in advance!

Don't want to sound ignorant here, but what is "pills"?

SHELLEYJACOBSON 11-26-2011 09:42 AM

I don't pre wash flannel for rag quilts..I think they come out better if you dont.... Just my opinion:)

weasier22 11-26-2011 10:01 AM

Way to go! I went to JoAnns yesterday and scored! Bought warm & natural at 50% off plus the 25% off total purchase. And of course there were other items too! Saved over $300! It's the only way to get things in today's market. They had a great sale this weekend! Have fun with all the flannel!

April X 11-26-2011 10:03 AM

Very Nice Job! I though my mother went overboard when she save $466.66 on her Black Friday Flannel stash!
She makes sets of Baby Receiving Blankets, Burp towels & Bibs out of hers.

BLAP 11-26-2011 11:27 AM

All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vicki W 11-26-2011 11:31 AM

I am bookmarking your page to show DH, I know he won't complain about my 18 yards now. :) Thanks

Susanna10 11-26-2011 11:56 AM

Nice stash. Flannel is my favorite fabric

sharon b 11-26-2011 12:01 PM

I have used this flannel for many quilts and never had any problems with pilling - Love it . Although I didn't buy near as much as you I did get some , wish I had thought to grab more of the solids :( But wait there is always next year LOL

SouthPStitches 11-26-2011 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by SharonTX (Post 4722128)
Don't want to sound ignorant here, but what is "pills"?

Pilling is the little fabric balls that can appear on fabric after washing. Have seen it on cotton clothing and on wool sweaters. Don't know if the term is something regional or universal.

Heh Sharon TX: I work for a general surgeon. Give me a call on Monday if you and hubby need hernia surgery booked after lugging around all that flannel. That's some serious poundage. Congrats on your landfall.

Havplenty 11-26-2011 04:30 PM

hahaha. that's funny but that was quite some flannel haul. i'm thinking they may need back surgery.

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 4723190)
Pilling is the little fabric balls that can appear on fabric after washing. Have seen it on cotton clothing and on wool sweaters. Don't know if the term is something regional or universal.

Heh Sharon TX: I work for a general surgeon. Give me a call on Monday if you and hubby need hernia surgery booked after lugging around all that flannel. That's some serious poundage. Congrats on your landfall.