Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My sewing machine died. :( (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-sewing-machine-died-t25365.html)

trupeach 09-12-2009 05:42 PM

maybe the store where you bought it will lend you one until yours is repaired. kind of like a loaner car. it doesn't hurt to ask

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 09-12-2009 08:29 PM

:? Had mine do the error thing and I had cleaned it and about give up then I went in and un screwed all the screws and took a screwdriver and very gently took off the front leaned that side onto some baskets to hold it up then cleaned all the gunk out I couldn't get to put it back together and well she's good as New!!! I have other machines but this one is my Fav and has all the stitches and Needle up needle down with a computer in it,I didn't touch the computerparts, I've worked on old ones before and my embr. Mach a little but Never this Much, I figure if it worked Wonderful!!! I am soooo glad it worked, Hope your's comes out as Happy!!!

Lucky Patsy's 09-12-2009 09:11 PM

Sorry to hear about your machine! MAJOR bummer! Your plan to spend the week cutting out is a good one. Hope you have a fresh rotary blade!

omak 09-12-2009 09:36 PM

Bummer!
As far as learning to hand sew, I have always tried to imagine what/how something got accomplished before electricity and technology.
As a matter of fact, when I first wanted to sew something, I didn't have a sewing machine. I used that as an excuse to "whine" about not getting to accomplish something I thought I wanted to do.
Some missionaries visited my home and in the course of the conversation, I told them I would love to sew my maternity tops but had no sewing machine.
One of the ladies reminded me that women did a lot of sewing by hand before there were machines.
I hate to admit that the idea had never crossed my mind! LOL
Needless to say, I have since developed the attitude of: learn the technology way, but keep in mind that someday - - handwork may be the only way to get it done.
You won't have any problem, though - - but, I can imagine the bit of panic in your brain when you realized that you might have to forego a machine for awhile <g>.

Sew and Sew 09-13-2009 02:54 AM

Well Eddy, I know what you mean. When I bought my nice embroidery/sewing machine I used it all of the time. Then I had trouble after cleaning it. Took it to the shop where I purchased, and waited while she looked at it, stating I could not be without my machine. She cleaned it and I had not put something back EXACTLY right..........so it was my error.......but while I was there I bought another smaller/sewing machne, less weight and something I could carry easily to classes. So I would NEVER be without a machine again. Plus I got my old peddal singer belt.........now I am ready for even no power. I have lanterns too........ha.........

littlehud 09-13-2009 06:50 PM

That is so frustrating. I'm glad it's still under warranty. I hope it doesn't take long to fix.

hulahoop1 09-13-2009 11:18 PM

Three years ago, my best friend, a Bernina 810, passed away after 29 years of faithful service. After discovering that my mother’s Bernina 830 was given to one of my other sisters, I finally went down to the local Bernina store to find a replacement.

I told the sweet young lady what had happened and that I needed to get a new machine. She asked which one I wanted and I pointed to one. She was surprised that I didn’t want to even try it out (I’d done my research ahead of time).

As we went to load it up in my car, I started to cry in the parking lot (how embarrassing!). She took one look at me, smiled and said I wasn't the first that felt this way and she wrapped me in a hug. Then she took my old friend as a trade-in at the original purchase price. I still feel silly, but it was still a month before I could bring myself to open up the new machine and learn how to use it.

GailG 09-16-2009 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Being somewhat of a computer techy ----hey, I know how to turn the computer on and how to run the microwave!!!! :wink: Try unplugging the sewing machine for at least 5 minutes, then plug back in and see what happens. I've had the same thing happen with our micro --- and the book said call in a repairman, but after unplugging/plugging in, the problem cleared itself up.

Now -- if that doesn't work....post your address, flowers will be sent! :(

I'm a computer "genius" also. But when my computer gives me beeps and other weird messages. I just turn it off. The next morning, I turn it on and it up and going again. Just this week, the little ones tried printing things (actually they did print things), but when they had gone I tried to print something and the silly thing wouldn't print. It gave me weird messages and directions which I attempted to follow. Well, I gave up and turned the thing off. The next morning, I was going to try to follow the directions again. Guess what -- it worked. Those things are amazing. :oops:

chickadee_42us 09-16-2009 05:19 AM

Eddie - any update?

Iluv2quilt 09-16-2009 05:24 AM

I'm so sorry to read about your machine being down. Hopefully it is much closer to being fixed and you can be back sewing again. I wouldn't know what to fill my time with without my machine, I guess I could clean a little, LOL. Good luck!