Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New survey....to quilt or cook? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-survey-quilt-cook-t262081.html)

SueSew 03-03-2015 02:17 PM

Oh tough question when my 'quilt room' is in a corner of the kitchen and the machine and fabric is there waiting for me...
If I put something on the stove to boil I can wander over and do a little piecing or cutting...I like to cook but hard to concentrate on it when I can walk across the room and be quilting !!!
Of course, cooking relates to meals, of which I eat 2 breakfasts and maybe five suppers in a week. So that's only 7 cooking events which don't take more than an hour of actual work-time at most. That leaves all the reast of the evening and weekend for quilting :)

Heather Elaine 03-03-2015 02:34 PM

I'm sick of cooking, having to come up with something different every dang day... Daughter-single, 29 and lives in her own house down the road but still eats dinner with us. I want to know what the empty nest feeling is like? I know I'm retired and they think I have all day to do supper but all I want to do is sit at my sewing machine, work on my design wall with scrapes of fabric and quilt. I'm FAT and don't want to eat a meal every night...Husband thinks if it's not meat, taters and veg. with cornbread it's not a meal. Just wondering how I did it when I was working graveyard for 20 years. Oh I know; I didn't sew and sleep all day while he was at work and she was in school. Guess ya'll realized this has hit a nerve I didn't realize I had hidden in the back of my mind...God help them when they get home tonight. May have a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with them about this issue. I need at least two nights off a week from doing supper. Thanks for letting me vent, what friends are for!

sewingsuz 03-03-2015 03:11 PM

I like quilting and sewing other things also. I don't like to cook anymore but I still do some. DH makes me breakfast if we don't have oatmeal or cereal. I would stay in my sewing room forever.

DebD800 03-03-2015 03:14 PM

I never cook.

franc36 03-03-2015 03:31 PM

I'd much rather quilt than cook. Since I do have to cook, I often cook large batches and freeze them so that daily cooking is not so time consuming. Also, since my sewing room is near the kitchen, if I have something in the oven, I take a timer with me and sew. It is amazing what I can accomplish in small segments of time.

mjpEncinitas 03-03-2015 03:58 PM

Ok I'm totally spoiled. My husband took over the cooking and shopping about 8 years ago. He loves to cook and wants to do the shopping. I'm up early in the morning and clean up all the dishes from the day before. He's not economical with his use of pots but I'm NOT complaining. He even leaves me meals when he travels.

Leaves me more time for quilting. Yeah.

lynnie 03-03-2015 04:07 PM

quilt wins with me

mamagrande 03-03-2015 05:25 PM

I am Mexican but not a typical Mexican so DH will make his own breakfast if I have not prepared anything. I do cook a big pot of pinto beans and he or I will fix some every day..I try to prepare dinner 3 to 4 times a week and we will pick up something on Sundays.
I would rather be Sewing or gardening...i don't even like house cleaning...I just maintain and hire a house cleaning service several times a year..My dear mother would be ashamed.

HouseDragon 03-03-2015 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Heather Elaine (Post 7113776)
I'm sick of cooking, having to come up with something different every dang day... Daughter-single, 29 and lives in her own house down the road but still eats dinner with us. I want to know what the empty nest feeling is like? I know I'm retired and they think I have all day to do supper but all I want to do is sit at my sewing machine, work on my design wall with scrapes of fabric and quilt. I'm FAT and don't want to eat a meal every night...Husband thinks if it's not meat, taters and veg. with cornbread it's not a meal. Just wondering how I did it when I was working graveyard for 20 years. Oh I know; I didn't sew and sleep all day while he was at work and she was in school. Guess ya'll realized this has hit a nerve I didn't realize I had hidden in the back of my mind...God help them when they get home tonight. May have a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with them about this issue. I need at least two nights off a week from doing supper. Thanks for letting me vent, what friends are for!

You go girl!!!

I'm very, very, very lucky. When DH retired, he took over cooking our meals!

I still do The Biggies like Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter and we work together whenever we have a dinner party.

Heather Elaine: your DD needs to learn how to cook and take care of herself. Under the guise of "teaching her how to cook" have her practice cooking at least every other night.

As for your DH, maybe he needs to learn to cook as well. If you can afford it, make plans to go away to one of the four day quilt shows and leave them on their own. I guarantee they won't starve while you are gone, and ~I hope~ will appreciate you all the more when you get home.

Lastly, VENT ALL YOU WANT: we're here for you.

Mitch's mom 03-03-2015 05:39 PM

I wish I had never got this darned cooking thing started. I should have played dumb with both husbands and said I couldn't cook but noooo, I had to open my big mouth!