Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   New survey....to quilt or cook? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/new-survey-quilt-cook-t262081.html)

AudreyB 03-03-2015 09:15 PM

I'm spoiled. My husband loves to cook and is an excellent cook. He will bring my lunch to me while I'm sitting at my sewing machine. I haven't cooked in years and feel quite lucky.

Dolphyngyrl 03-03-2015 10:07 PM

no contest, never interested in cooking even though I can do several dishes well, one which I haven't made in over 2 years do to how much work it is.

Dolphyngyrl 03-03-2015 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Heather Elaine (Post 7113776)
I'm sick of cooking, having to come up with something different every dang day... Daughter-single, 29 and lives in her own house down the road but still eats dinner with us. I want to know what the empty nest feeling is like? I know I'm retired and they think I have all day to do supper but all I want to do is sit at my sewing machine, work on my design wall with scrapes of fabric and quilt. I'm FAT and don't want to eat a meal every night...Husband thinks if it's not meat, taters and veg. with cornbread it's not a meal. Just wondering how I did it when I was working graveyard for 20 years. Oh I know; I didn't sew and sleep all day while he was at work and she was in school. Guess ya'll realized this has hit a nerve I didn't realize I had hidden in the back of my mind...God help them when they get home tonight. May have a "Come To Jesus Meeting" with them about this issue. I need at least two nights off a week from doing supper. Thanks for letting me vent, what friends are for!

Wow 29, I was cooking on my own at 11 and if I even thought of asking my mom to do it after 18 she probably would have laughed in my face. Its probably why I don't like cooking much but I have just met so many adults that just don't know how to cook and I just find it so odd. I guess that is what happens when your parents get home late as teenagers.

elizajo 03-03-2015 10:31 PM

My wonderful mother-in-law cooked a meal with meat, 2 vegetables, and cornbread every day because father-in-law refused to eat leftovers. When he passed away, she put one of the potted plants from the funeral on the stove and said it was closed for business! Thank goodness her son is a good cook and eats leftovers many nights.

DOTTYMO 03-03-2015 11:28 PM

I live alone would rather quilt and go out for a carvary at least 3 times a week . And no washing up.

coffeecozy 03-04-2015 03:33 AM

Quilting wins of course but I do like to cook as well.
Once I get in my sewing room I completely lose track of time so I use my crock pot a lot. Dinner gets all made in the morning and then I can sew until the dog comes to tell me that its time to eat.

jmoore 03-04-2015 04:08 AM

I love to cook but am required to do so much of it owning a specialty food market in which we serve homemade soups, sandwiches and pastries... and I rarely get time on my sewing machine so I would rather quilt!

annette1952 03-04-2015 05:00 AM

I like to cook but I love to quilt. I sew everyday unless I have places I need to go. I'm pretty lucky though because DH will eat most anything. He is not picky so it makes meals easy when I don't feel like cooking. Also he always cooks his own breakfast

Teesside 03-04-2015 05:04 AM

Depends upon the day. I find both quilting and cooking to be stress relievers for me. Sometimes I find a quilt needs to hang on my wall for awhile for me to contemplate the next step and to see it in daylight and nightlight. I will then turn to cooking. I do get bored with cooking, but internet helps inspire me. I have been using pintrest for inspiration- started looking at quilts, but now look for recipes too. Unfortunately the pictures sometime look better than how they taste!

EmiliasNana 03-04-2015 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by Pennyhal (Post 7113513)
I'd rather quilt, unless chocolate is involved.

Absolutely! When my DH retired, he offered to cook every other dinner. It is wonderful on the days I don't have to do any prep work and can sew right up until dinnertime. However, this past summer we got 2 Golden puppies so we take time and alternate dog watching/training duty. They are 9 months old now but can't trust them alone for long, and can't trust them in my sewing room either. Usually mornings are his time to work in his woodshop downstairs (and I "might" bake/clean/pickup etc), and the afternoons are my time to quilt. It works for us.