Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-t106795.html)

BKrenning 03-11-2011 07:11 AM

I just finished a baby quilt that is pieced flannel on front and fleece on the back. It is tied with perle cotton and a little stitch in the ditch.

I have done 3 this way now and they are super snuggly.

Crafty Lady in WA 03-11-2011 07:14 AM

i made hubby a blanket for his bday with "men" flannels (fish, bear, deer etc) and on back is tan fleece. he kicks it off alot at night cuz he says its too hot. well duhh dear, i made it so you'd be warm lol

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I just finished a baby quilt that is pieced flannel on front and fleece on the back. It is tied with perle cotton and a little stitch in the ditch.

I have done 3 this way now and they are super snuggly.

icon17 03-11-2011 07:49 AM

Yes I have! Sometimes I've used these cloths we used at nursing homes called 'Bath sheets' thin twin sized sort of thin flanel like fabric. I do it for a Summer Quilt. 8-)

cctx. 03-11-2011 07:51 AM

I have made a couple quilts using no batting, but with foundations for the middle part or light flannel fabric, using string blocks or crazy quilt style and then add the backing, sew it up like a pillow case and turn it out and tying to finish.

Summer quilts is what I call it.

May in Jersey 03-11-2011 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by katiescraftshop

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:

Katie, Feel free to use this technique, I learned it at HeartStrings, an online charity quilting group. We make blocks, tops or complete quilts for the HeartStrings group or for any of our own local charity groups. With the increase in post rates I usually send them one or two tops a year and make the rest for my Guild's Community Outreach Program. May

deema 03-11-2011 07:57 AM

I do sometimes. The quilt I made for my 5yo DD is backed in minkee, no batting and the one I made for my 10mo DS is backed in fleece, no batting. For DD's, she's a very warm child, she just doesn't need the extra from batting, and for DS's I didn't want to add extra weight so he will be able to drag it around easily when he's a bit older.

I quilted both of them, not tied, but I have tied quilts with batting in them. It just depends on the quilt, who it is for, and what I feel the pattern "calls" for.

Numa 03-11-2011 08:02 AM

My favorite quilt is pieced top with a fleece back. I use it all the time. I machine quilted it too. I've told my family that when I die, bury it with me! LOL

KwiltyKahy 03-11-2011 08:49 AM

My grandmother used to make what she called summer quilts. They had no batting, just the top and a back. They worked pretty well. I remember taking them on picnics and they were perfect for that.

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

fabric_fancy 03-11-2011 09:07 AM

i make receiving blankets for babies without batting.

sewwhat85 03-11-2011 09:21 AM

yes i have done that