Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: No Batting?

Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

I do! I make alot of these for children. They stand up to a tremendous amount of washing and tugging.

I sometimes worry that batting will tear when they are loading there stuff or each other on them and dragging them around the house. (I have boys)

I also tend to like the look of a tied quilt. It reminds me of the one my mom would make. I also sometimes tie with yarn rather than floss for a different look.

I have made several quilts-most kids quilts-one large lap quilt with fleece as batting and backing, but I quilted with my machine. The fleece is very easy to quilt on (with a machine). I don't sew by hand so I'm not sure how it would work with tying it.

Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey
    I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:

I made one for my SIL with fleece backing and no batting. It's plenty warm without the batting. He loves it.

I have made quilts using old wool blankets also. I have also done like you.

i tie with yarn as well unless i don't have a matching color, then i'll use 6 strands of embroidery floss

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia
    I have made several quilts-most kids quilts-one large lap quilt with fleece as batting and backing, but I quilted with my machine. The fleece is very easy to quilt on (with a machine). I don't sew by hand so I'm not sure how it would work with tying it.

I check GOODWILL alot for wool blankets, fleece or flannel. CHEAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Tinabodina
    I have made quilts using old wool blankets also. I have also done like you.

I often received quilts without batting from Project Linus volunteers. Most are nice and warm. There was an occasion where a very thin top was married to a very thin backing, and it was not warm enough, so I took it apart and fixed it.

I just finished a baby quilt that is pieced flannel on front and fleece on the back. It is tied with perle cotton and a little stitch in the ditch.

I have done 3 this way now and they are super snuggly.

i made hubby a blanket for his bday with "men" flannels (fish, bear, deer etc) and on back is tan fleece. he kicks it off alot at night cuz he says its too hot. well duhh dear, i made it so you'd be warm lol

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    I just finished a baby quilt that is pieced flannel on front and fleece on the back. It is tied with perle cotton and a little stitch in the ditch.

I have done 3 this way now and they are super snuggly.

Yes I have! Sometimes I've used these cloths we used at nursing homes called 'Bath sheets' thin twin sized sort of thin flanel like fabric. I do it for a Summer Quilt. 8-)

Blog Entries
    I have made a couple quilts using no batting, but with foundations for the middle part or light flannel fabric, using string blocks or crazy quilt style and then add the backing, sew it up like a pillow case and turn it out and tying to finish.

Summer quilts is what I call it.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:
    Katie, Feel free to use this technique, I learned it at HeartStrings, an online charity quilting group. We make blocks, tops or complete quilts for the HeartStrings group or for any of our own local charity groups. With the increase in post rates I usually send them one or two tops a year and make the rest for my Guild's Community Outreach Program. May

I do sometimes. The quilt I made for my 5yo DD is backed in minkee, no batting and the one I made for my 10mo DS is backed in fleece, no batting. For DD's, she's a very warm child, she just doesn't need the extra from batting, and for DS's I didn't want to add extra weight so he will be able to drag it around easily when he's a bit older.

I quilted both of them, not tied, but I have tied quilts with batting in them. It just depends on the quilt, who it is for, and what I feel the pattern "calls" for.

My favorite quilt is pieced top with a fleece back. I use it all the time. I machine quilted it too. I've told my family that when I die, bury it with me! LOL

My grandmother used to make what she called summer quilts. They had no batting, just the top and a back. They worked pretty well. I remember taking them on picnics and they were perfect for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

i make receiving blankets for babies without batting.

yes i have done that

I haven't used them for just the backing but have used flannel and wool for batting. When using minkee I just use that as a backing. I have made just flannel quilts (top & back) for when just a bit of warmth was needed guess that would be more of a blanket. :-D

Wanted to add that on fleece quilts (blankets) I just hand sew a nice blanket stitch around it for a finished look.

Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M

I've made some baby quilts with fleece for the back. It works nice to give a little padding if they are using on the floor too for roll around time.

I have done that for baby quilts and also for my dd who is 20 she loves the soft tough of fleece go figure guess they never grow up

thats how i do all mine

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast