Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: No Batting?

Blog Entries
    I have a sofa throw over my legs right now.Made with string blocks & flannel backing, no batting.It's a heavy quilt! Lots of string seams & I just did a lazy meandering stitch on each block by machine,before sewing them together.Then did the same along each strip after sewing them together.
    It's so warm & gets lots of use.

No I never have, but I heard of people doing that!

Just now I am tying a nap quilt, the front is logcabin blocks, the back is fleece, and I am not putting any batting between layers. Found a good sale on fleece, and not a good sale on batting!! piecefully, the old one

Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

jane :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I like to make fleece on the back and flannel on the front rag quilts for babies. There's no binding that could somehow escape and be a danger. Plus they are so warm and soft! On one I used different cookie cutters to trace the shapes and put a different animal or star or heart on each block.

If I back with fleece, I don't use batting. This is what I do when I make T-shirt quilts.

Blog Entries
    I don't like batting because it is to warm. I use flannel in the sandwich.Makes for nice quilting and not to warm.

Blog Entries
    Smart way to go. Just be sure to wash/shrink the blanket before using.

Quote Originally Posted by janedb
    Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.
    I make almost all of my "utility" quilts with just fleece and no batting. My gang loves the way they feel and they are just the right weight.

Quote Originally Posted by plainpat
    Smart way to go. Just be sure to wash/shrink the blanket before using.

Quote Originally Posted by janedb

WHY? I never even thought about washing my quilts before using them. The baby quilts get washed but everyone else uses theirs before it gets washed.

Yes, I do. In Alabama we enjoy a light weight "summer" quilt. I buy a fabric (can't remember the name) at Hancock Fabric that is 60" wide, has a bit of a fuzzy top, and the back of it is not like flannel but a little slippery, if that makes sense. Really nice to work with and doesn't seem to shrink at all.

I have used fleece for a backing & also flannel, no batting but then I stitch in the ditch to hold everything together, no ties.

Blog Entries
    Thanks a lot for that info! I was wondering that same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescraftshop
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey
    I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:
    They are so easy and use up a lot of scraps. Make in any size you want.

Blog Entries
    another question here, about fleece, if we make for child,infants etc, is there non flammable kinds to get? I know there are pj's and all, but fleece? I really haven't looked either.. thanks for an answer

I have made several quilts for my grandsons using fleece to back them. This makes them very "cuddly" in the winter too. I do not use batting when I back quilts with fleece; it would make them too heavy.

Hancocks calls that Grand Flannel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Yes, I do. In Alabama we enjoy a light weight "summer" quilt. I buy a fabric (can't remember the name) at Hancock Fabric that is 60" wide, has a bit of a fuzzy top, and the back of it is not like flannel but a little slippery, if that makes sense. Really nice to work with and doesn't seem to shrink at all.

Quote Originally Posted by KwiltyKahy
    Hancocks calls that Grand Flannel
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr
    Thanks. They have reorganized our Hancock's and now I'll know what to ask for.

saf
    Great idea. Just the job for warmer weather. Will certainly copy your idea.

Blog Entries
    You need to pre wash unless you already know the blankets don't shrink.
    If you make a top that doesn't shrink & use something that does.....won't be pretty once washed. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Psychomomquilter
    another question here, about fleece, if we make for child,infants etc, is there non flammable kinds to get? I know there are pj's and all, but fleece? I really haven't looked either.. thanks for an answer
    I have never seen fleece advertised as "flame resistant"--The polyester fibers do not flare up in flames like the cotton fibers of flannel. I suspect that is the difference.

Whenever I use fleece for backing I do not add batting. I have tied them but I machine quilt on my sewing machine as well. Depends on the pattern and who I'm making it for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

That's exactly what I did with the queen crazy quilt that I recently finished. It was so heavy as it was & hate to think what it would be like if it were batted.

If using cordroy for the top I don't use batting but use a flannel backing.

I KEEP ALL LEFT OVER FABRIC THEN I ROUGHLY JOIN THEM TOGETHER AND PUT IT BETWEEN THE 2LAYERS AND STIPPLE ALL 3 LAYERS TOGETHER.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast