Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • No Batting? >
  • No Batting?

• No Batting?

Old 03-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
    Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

I haven't used them for just the backing but have used flannel and wool for batting. When using minkee I just use that as a backing. I have made just flannel quilts (top & back) for when just a bit of warmth was needed guess that would be more of a blanket. :-D

Wanted to add that on fleece quilts (blankets) I just hand sew a nice blanket stitch around it for a finished look.
    Old 03-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.
    Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M
    Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM

I've made some baby quilts with fleece for the back. It works nice to give a little padding if they are using on the floor too for roll around time.
    Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM

I have done that for baby quilts and also for my dd who is 20 she loves the soft tough of fleece go figure guess they never grow up
    Old 03-11-2011, 04:09 PM

thats how i do all mine

Originally Posted by milp04
    Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M
    Old 03-12-2011, 02:57 AM

I have a sofa throw over my legs right now.Made with string blocks & flannel backing, no batting.It's a heavy quilt! Lots of string seams & I just did a lazy meandering stitch on each block by machine,before sewing them together.Then did the same along each strip after sewing them together.
    It's so warm & gets lots of use.
    Old 03-12-2011, 03:12 AM

No I never have, but I heard of people doing that!
    Old 03-12-2011, 04:21 AM

Just now I am tying a nap quilt, the front is logcabin blocks, the back is fleece, and I am not putting any batting between layers. Found a good sale on fleece, and not a good sale on batting!! piecefully, the old one
    Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 AM

Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

jane :thumbup:
    Old 03-12-2011, 04:33 AM

I like to make fleece on the back and flannel on the front rag quilts for babies. There's no binding that could somehow escape and be a danger. Plus they are so warm and soft! On one I used different cookie cutters to trace the shapes and put a different animal or star or heart on each block.