Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-t106795.html)

quiltmaker 03-11-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

I haven't used them for just the backing but have used flannel and wool for batting. When using minkee I just use that as a backing. I have made just flannel quilts (top & back) for when just a bit of warmth was needed guess that would be more of a blanket. :-D

Wanted to add that on fleece quilts (blankets) I just hand sew a nice blanket stitch around it for a finished look.

milp04 03-11-2011 09:42 AM

Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M

cowpie2 03-11-2011 09:57 AM

I've made some baby quilts with fleece for the back. It works nice to give a little padding if they are using on the floor too for roll around time.

cassie69emt 03-11-2011 11:25 AM

I have done that for baby quilts and also for my dd who is 20 she loves the soft tough of fleece go figure guess they never grow up

Crafty Lady in WA 03-11-2011 04:09 PM

thats how i do all mine

Originally Posted by milp04

Hi Crafty Lady,

I've been making several sports themed quilts. I've used two layers of the heavy fleece. I layed and pinned them together with right sides together. Sewed around, leaving an opening, clip the seam to 1/4 inch, then turned right side out. I then sewed around the entire blanket about 1 1/4 inch making a self border. The hand sew the opening shut. The self border helps to keep the quilt/blanket squared up. They were 5' x 8+' in size for tall guys. They love them for watching tv.

Pam M

plainpat 03-12-2011 02:57 AM

I have a sofa throw over my legs right now.Made with string blocks & flannel backing, no batting.It's a heavy quilt! Lots of string seams & I just did a lazy meandering stitch on each block by machine,before sewing them together.Then did the same along each strip after sewing them together.
It's so warm & gets lots of use.

justlooking 03-12-2011 03:12 AM

No I never have, but I heard of people doing that!

the old one 03-12-2011 04:21 AM

Just now I am tying a nap quilt, the front is logcabin blocks, the back is fleece, and I am not putting any batting between layers. Found a good sale on fleece, and not a good sale on batting!! piecefully, the old one

janedb 03-12-2011 04:28 AM

Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

jane :thumbup:

LoriEl 03-12-2011 04:33 AM

I like to make fleece on the back and flannel on the front rag quilts for babies. There's no binding that could somehow escape and be a danger. Plus they are so warm and soft! On one I used different cookie cutters to trace the shapes and put a different animal or star or heart on each block.