Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   No Batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/no-batting-t106795.html)

quiltingsavta 03-12-2011 04:36 AM

If I back with fleece, I don't use batting. This is what I do when I make T-shirt quilts.

Sallyflymi 03-12-2011 04:56 AM

I don't like batting because it is to warm. I use flannel in the sandwich.Makes for nice quilting and not to warm.

plainpat 03-12-2011 05:02 AM

Smart way to go. Just be sure to wash/shrink the blanket before using.

Originally Posted by janedb
Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

jane :thumbup:

moreland 03-12-2011 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Crafty Lady in WA
Does anyone ever make quilts with no batting, Just using fleece or flannel for backing and tie instead of quilting? This is what I do and curious if anyone else does.

I make almost all of my "utility" quilts with just fleece and no batting. My gang loves the way they feel and they are just the right weight.

moreland 03-12-2011 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Smart way to go. Just be sure to wash/shrink the blanket before using.

Originally Posted by janedb
Hi as i am just starting to quilt, I am going to use very nice quality blankets that I am finding from my local Op. shop. at a $1 per blanket. This way I can work up my quilting skills without alot of cost involved.

jane :thumbup:

WHY? I never even thought about washing my quilts before using them. The baby quilts get washed but everyone else uses theirs before it gets washed.

Zephyr 03-12-2011 06:02 AM

Yes, I do. In Alabama we enjoy a light weight "summer" quilt. I buy a fabric (can't remember the name) at Hancock Fabric that is 60" wide, has a bit of a fuzzy top, and the back of it is not like flannel but a little slippery, if that makes sense. Really nice to work with and doesn't seem to shrink at all.

katlady 03-12-2011 06:11 AM

I have used fleece for a backing & also flannel, no batting but then I stitch in the ditch to hold everything together, no ties.

Psychomomquilter 03-12-2011 06:50 AM

Thanks a lot for that info! I was wondering that same thing.

Mona Marie 03-12-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by katiescraftshop

Originally Posted by May in Jersey
I make many kids sized quilts from string blocks, the strings are sewn on a netural foundation and that makes them pretty heavy. I feel that adding batting would make the quilt too heavy for a child so I back the top with flannel. May in Jersey

I like this idea and have tons of scraps from the I Spys I'm currently working on. May have to put this on my "Future Try List" If you don't mind my stealing your idea. :lol:

They are so easy and use up a lot of scraps. Make in any size you want.

Psychomomquilter 03-12-2011 07:18 AM

another question here, about fleece, if we make for child,infants etc, is there non flammable kinds to get? I know there are pj's and all, but fleece? I really haven't looked either.. thanks for an answer