Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

michelehuston 09-01-2011 05:01 AM

I am not really sure why this is..but always!!! It makes no sense to me...but of course I am only a woman, who am I to question? :?

Monika 09-01-2011 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter

Originally Posted by Selena
Yes, I did try to justify it. That's my point, why did I feel the need to? He said I could have it if I wanted it. I bought it used and paid cash. It didn't put us in a bind until he lost his job 2 weeks later which no one could have foreseen. I have wanted to quilt for over 30 years and was busy.... He can't help that he doesn't get it.

I think it comes back to women tend to put the family first, and feel guilty when we do something for ourselves. Maybe it's ingrained into our DNA. I don't know. I feel guilty when I splurge on myself, like I shouldn't spend money just for me. One part of me feels like, "hey, I work, it's my money too. I can spend some the way I want to." and the other side is saying "yes, but we have to save for an emergency, retirement, what if one of us loses our job? we have to prepared."

So true.....it is ingrained in us. Sometimes we set ourselves up by voicing it. Men tend to not be subtle. If I set it up as maybe it could "pay for itself' my hubby would think I was looking for that because that is what I said!

damaquilts 09-01-2011 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by jbud2
A M E N !! :thumbup:

Ditto!

dd55 09-01-2011 05:23 AM

I sold my car to buy my LA. I am a novice quilter and stumbled on the opportunity to buy a LA for 1/2 price. I knew that hand quilting was not in my future. My hubby is very supportive, as he should be. He has every tool imaginable, which is nice to have "the right tool" for whatever project you are working on. So I don't feel guilty about buying fabric for my quilting projects.

Kayaker26 09-01-2011 05:26 AM

Sorry but I am your husband, I can not justify the cost....to myself. I will have to use my DSM and make it work for me so far I am happy with it!

Annette Searcy 09-01-2011 05:31 AM

One year my husband bought me a boat and motor for mother's day (I DO NOT fish.) I bought him a sewing machine for father's day. He didn't like it.

LindaaJR 09-01-2011 05:41 AM

But look at all the fabric you can buy! I would only take on a job when you want to, schedule your time so you still have time to do your thing. Take care.
Linda

kit'smamma 09-01-2011 05:50 AM

My late DH and I agreed early in our marriage that when buying a recording as a gift we would each choose something the donor wanted and as long as we both did that we were both happy. In later more prosperous years it was my quilting stuff and his hunting stuff along with the travel to pheasant territory. I got to quilt all day all I wanted when he and the dog were off in South Dakota and I was here in North Carolina. It was then that I realized that the safe full of shot guns and my sewing room full of quilt stuff were in balance. It was something we laughed about. He did observe, however, that he saw more fabric going into that room than coming out. Too true.

quiltmom04 09-01-2011 05:59 AM

Or the saw that cuts one way, and another saw that cuts another way, and a sander that goes 'around' and a sander that goes 'back and forth' all to make a piece of moulding once every few years! I dareway I use my machine WAAAAYYYY more than that. I use my machine WAY more than the car, come to think of it!

quiltmom04 09-01-2011 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Annette Searcy
One year my husband bought me a boat and motor for mother's day (I DO NOT fish.) I bought him a sewing machine for father's day. He didn't like it.

HAHA! I had a friend who's husband gave her a vacuum for her birthday, so she got him sheets. It stopped there!