Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

Buttongirl 09-01-2011 03:30 AM

So what kind of LA did you get?? Are any of the hobby quilters worth the money??? Button Girl

She In PA 09-01-2011 03:33 AM

My husband never ever says anything when I want to but something. He tells me just buy it. He has a ton of tools and if he can't find the hammer, ruler, pliers, he will just go buy new ones. The difference between us is, he never feels guilty for spending money. I always feel guilty about buying something I like or want. I always have to justify the purchase. I think it's because I'm disabled and can no longer contribute money to the household by working like I did all my life.

glorcour 09-01-2011 03:34 AM

This is a story told everywhere. I am lucky enough to have my own money to spend as I wish. It was suggested that I quilt for others to help pay for the machine, and while I am still learning on the LA, perhaps in the future I may do a few here and there for friends, but I do not intend to have a business. My husband has such a collection of books and Cd's that a LA machine pales in comparison. Men are from MArs and women are from Venus!

sllj40 09-01-2011 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess
I got my long arm by looking at the corvette in the garage. We can't drive it often because: it's raining. It's going to rain. it might rain. it rained last week etc.
I told him that even if I quilted 5 quilts a year it would get used more that that car, and I wouldn't be paying for collision insurance to boot!

hahaha!

Homemother 09-01-2011 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My hubby said something once about burning all the books I have and don't need etc. I told him we'd start the fire with those baseball cards he has. He's never said another word.

Fair is fair.

YES YES YES! My husband suggested we start clearing out all the homeschool materials in the basement. The law says we only have to keep records for three years. I asked him if he would start us out by throwing out his college books that adorn his shelves that are over 30 YEARS OLD!!! He hasn't started and neither have I.

Selena 09-01-2011 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Buttongirl
So what kind of LA did you get?? Are any of the hobby quilters worth the money??? Button Girl

I have a Voyager 17 with a Hinterburg stretch frame. I found it on Craig's List and went and tried it out. I definitely think it's worth the money since I paid less than half of the new price for a 3 yr old machine. It came with 3 sets of bars but I keep the 10' ones on it all the time. I can still do some needle work but due to the car accidents,I don't have the finesse I used to and my hands cramp up. If I am going to quilt my quilts I have to have an LA. I enjoy each part of quilting so I'm definitely going to quilt them!

sllj40 09-01-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dexx
For me its the opposite. My wife questions why I buy fabric. So I've been trying to let her pick things out with me online.

But once in a while something catches my eye, and I have to sneak a purchase in. In fact, today I'm "working from home" so I can get the mail with the new fabric before she sees it.

so feel ya! hahaha

countrycottage 09-01-2011 03:55 AM

I can so relate, although in my case it was the embroidery machine. Hubby's boat, golf cart & clubs, hunting equipment, etc. are IMPORTANT, but my machine was supposed to immediately turn a profit. I have sold several things, but I guarantee it will never pay for itself and I do not care.
He claims the hunting stuff helps provide food for the family and saves money. Hmmmmm, let's see; add all of the equipment together and factor in transportation, lease, and licenses, I figure that his savings cost us $75.00 per pound. Oh Well!

Oops....forgot about the motorcycle that was supposed to save so much in fuel costs........

Dolphyngyrl 09-01-2011 03:59 AM

My husband says the same thing about my machine that i USE but what about his 800 dollar digital SLR camera that collects dust in the closet. Double standards they suck. He has also looked at crossbows and kayaks. I told him no they will just sit in the garage

Selena 09-01-2011 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by countrycottage
I can so relate, although in my case it was the embroidery machine. Hubby's boat, golf cart & clubs, hunting equipment, etc. are IMPORTANT, but my machine was supposed to immediately turn a profit. I have sold several things, but I guarantee it will never pay for itself and I do not care.
He claims the hunting stuff helps provide food for the family and saves money. Hmmmmm, let's see; add all of the equipment together and factor in transportation, lease, and licenses, I figure that his savings cost us $75.00 per pound. Oh Well!

Did you add in the cost of the deer corn @ $7 a bag, the buck jam @ $8 a jug to pour on the corn, the deer block, the 5 tree stands, the 4 wheeler, the $240 meat grinder, the very large pot to mix the ground meat in and the packaging materials? Oh, and in my case that crossbow in the corner over there. Let's not start on how much we get from fishing...