Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

Jingle 08-31-2011 05:23 PM

My Husband only works, job, cutting grass, home repairs.
tools he needs are pretty much necessary. I have sewing machines, lots of fabrics. He never says anything, which is good.
Stand up Ladies, tell him when he starts making money with boats, bows, fishing rods, cars, etc. then you will too.
Tell him this is no dress rehersal. You only go around once.

Jeanniejo 08-31-2011 05:28 PM

Yes!!! Most of us have done more than enough to earn them!!!

Pam B 08-31-2011 05:29 PM

Well, you have a very good point. I guess it is kind of like how I go out and help DH when he needs help in the barn, or something, and then we get in the house and he goes in and sits down and I have to make a meal. LOL Or, he and I pull out a sum of cash to get us through the week...I use mine to pick up items at the store, used to give the kids their lunch money for the week, etc. DH may, occasionally, stop and pick up an item at the store for me. Being the wife is never quite fair in alot of ways.

deedum 08-31-2011 05:33 PM

I say "enjoy your longarm"! No strings should be attached!

sarahrachel 08-31-2011 05:38 PM

See as a teen and in college, I don't have that problem with justifying it to someone else. I have to justify it for myself. But I give myself a little spending money for every paycheck, if I worked full time, I get $20 until the next paycheck, if it's part time, I get $10. So if I want something really bad, I have to wait until I save it up. And as I live at my parents house (only first year of college) I don't have to pay rent as long as I'm in school and my spending money also goes toward clothes. So if I buy something expensive, it has to be worth it as I've spent so long saving up for it

leakus 08-31-2011 06:00 PM

Selena,
thanks for this topic, I had a good time reading all the answers. I have to hear my DH talking about my "expensive sewing machine" and how I haven't figure out yet how to "make" money out of my hobby. I keep telling him. My 3 machines toghether worth less than his bike, I am not counting the money he spend on other hobbies he is not really enjoying anymore such as paintball, metal detector equipment etc. I use at least one machine a couple days a week at least and I am a firm believer that quilting is my therapy in life. ... and I ask all. Do hobbies suppose to make money?
I don't think so!

LivelyLady 08-31-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by jbud2
A M E N !! :thumbup:

I'll second that amen!!

Stitchit123 08-31-2011 06:37 PM

Sounds like the "old double standard" thing ..Suggest he start a fishing charter business -make that boat pay for itself I'd sell the bow thingy (-you probably have enough stuff to dust)..If its not being used. Let some one else enjoy it.

Selena 08-31-2011 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123
Sounds like the "old double standard" thing ..Suggest he start a fishing charter business -make that boat pay for itself I'd sell the bow thingy (-you probably have enough stuff to dust)..If its not being used. Let some one else enjoy it.

My pellet gun has brought more meat into this house than the boat and crossbow put together. And I don't dust the crossbow. I clean around it on principal.LOL

Ruby the Quilter 08-31-2011 10:50 PM

My dh and I both golf me a couple of times a week and 3 or 4 for him - know that that cost us. Do do a little quilting and embroidering for money. I have federal jury duty for September and if I report it is $40 a day. So maybe I can served for a few days and have some money for more stash! I do want to do my civic duty just happens it can help with my quilting!