Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

TanyaL 08-31-2011 10:56 PM

Just did one day jury duty and our county pays $6 a day. Count your blessing and buy your fabric! Sew! Sew! Sew! LOL

Anna.425 09-01-2011 12:06 AM

Because by definition a boat is a hole in the water that you throw money into.

Thusnelda 09-01-2011 12:36 AM

Did you ASK or TELL your husband what you told us here? Or did you just feel cornered and didn't say anything? Maybe he just needs spelling out to see your point of view.

MsEithne 09-01-2011 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Selena
Don't get me wrong, I love my husband for insisting I get my LA because I wanted it. I have been working hard at learning how to use it. He thought I should be able to just go for it and make money. He doesn't have a clue what's involved. I love it and want to do this for money but not only that. I really enjoy doing the quilting. I feel like I have to fight for my time to quilt which doesn't help. When he wanted a boat, we bought a boat. It sits there 99% of the time. It certainly hasn't helped catch enough fish to justify the price. Also the $600 cross bow that he had to have for Christmas last year that is still decorating the corner of my living room-not even fired. He really doesn't deny me what I want if we can do it, not that I ask very often but why do I have to justify it? I got the camera I have wanted for over 30 years because I am the photographer for my EHC club. Why can't wives just have expensive toys?

They can.

It isn't clear to me, though, whether this is your husband demanding you justify what you want or whether you have an internal need to justify these things.

MsEithne 09-01-2011 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I remind my husband of this very fact...he spends money on his hobbies, but sometimes gets a little annoyed when I spend money on mine. I tell him "fair is fair and I'm spending my overtime money only". But why should I have to justify? He needs to get over it!!! LOL

Then why even get into the discussion?

What would happen if you said calmly "this isn't up for discussion, thanks."?

This is assuming that you don't ask him to justify his hobbies, of course.

Debby54 09-01-2011 02:47 AM

You are so right and I agree with all.
I have my sewing and all my different machines and fabrics.
If ever I was told too much and why do you have to have that I simply go to the garage and say
WHY do you have to have 3 Model A's,4 motorcycles,5 lawnmowers, and 2 trucks.
He will simply look at me and and say your right.

It'sJustMe 09-01-2011 02:49 AM

...uh, in defense of one man, my DH is so good at selling his underused toys on eBay...

MerryQuilter 09-01-2011 03:00 AM

Point very well taken!

Patti Mahoney 09-01-2011 03:18 AM

There's a trick. I work, make my own money, he can't say a thing about what I buy......Simple! ! ! No money coming out of the household money.....although, I'm like you, I don't ask for much ..........and........... I can't really afford to buy anything frivilous very often, hardly ever. But, if I do, I don't feel guilty about it. I want a new sewing machine, really bad, a nice expensive one, but .......... there are other priorities right now. But when I do, I sure won't feel bad about it. He can't say a thing!

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband for insisting I get my LA because I wanted it. I have been working hard at learning how to use it. He thought I should be able to just go for it and make money. He doesn't have a clue what's involved. I love it and want to do this for money but not only that. I really enjoy doing the quilting. I feel like I have to fight for my time to quilt which doesn't help. When he wanted a boat, we bought a boat. It sits there 99% of the time. It certainly hasn't helped catch enough fish to justify the price. Also the $600 cross bow that he had to have for Christmas last year that is still decorating the corner of my living room-not even fired. He really doesn't deny me what I want if we can do it, not that I ask very often but why do I have to justify it? I got the camera I have wanted for over 30 years because I am the photographer for my EHC club. Why can't wives just have expensive toys?

Selena 09-01-2011 03:27 AM

The money I spent on the LA wasn't just his. It was from a settlement from an accident we were both in and I was awarded twice as much as he was as I was recovering from surgery from a previous accident. So I didn't take anything out of his pocket. Our bills were paid off, etc.

Originally Posted by Patti Mahoney
There's a trick. I work, make my own money, he can't say a thing about what I buy......Simple! ! ! No money coming out of the household money.....although, I'm like you, I don't ask for much ..........and........... I can't really afford to buy anything frivilous very often, hardly ever. But, if I do, I don't feel guilty about it. I want a new sewing machine, really bad, a nice expensive one, but .......... there are other priorities right now. But when I do, I sure won't feel bad about it. He can't say a thing!