Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   OK, so my long arm has to pay for itself-why doesn't his boat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ok-so-my-long-arm-has-pay-itself-why-doesnt-his-boat-t149310.html)

nclauri 09-01-2011 02:17 PM

My husband says his hobbies benefits us both! LOL! But if I really want something I usually get it. I apply the guilt trip to myself. He doesn't.

marymay 09-01-2011 02:26 PM

OH MY This is what I told my DH when he ask me how much fabric do you think you need. Looked at him with a big SMILE!!!! AND SAID TO HIM " How many golf balls do you need to buy to hit in the WATER" Poor man never has said another word to me about buying fabric.
Now I ask him the other day if I could buy a shed for the back yard (big one 24x24) He just said sure but for what?
My new sewing room. Told me that if I get that he wanted new PING golf clubs. I said sure. $4000 for mine $1000 for his. I WIN!!!

wannaquilt1 09-01-2011 02:31 PM

see my husband doesn't help my cause. he's not into anything and never spends any $ on himself. I wish he had a hobby or something he was into so he would spend $ on something and then I could feel better about the $ i spend LOL

mshawii 09-01-2011 02:31 PM

My hubby came into the living room one day and said "Do you realize how many quilt books you have?" and I looked at him and said "And your point?". He said oh nothing, I was just wondering", and turned quickly and left he room. Ha Ha Ha! Jan

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
My hubby said something once about burning all the books I have and don't need etc. I told him we'd start the fire with those baseball cards he has. He's never said another word.

Fair is fair.

marthahelen 09-01-2011 02:31 PM

Funny, but just this afternoon I was thinking, why do I have to justify all the fabric I buy and try selling my quilts, after all, his hobby (competitive shooting) is costly and doesn't make money? Go figure. :lol:

klutzyquilter 09-01-2011 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
Give a man a boat and he'll sit in the sun and drink beer all day. Give a woman a LA and she'll earn money. Something's wrong somewhere. Give a woman a LA AND a beer and you solved the problem of how to FMQ! LOL

My hubby doesn't have a boat, doesn't drink beer and I don't have a LA .... but I relate and love this response :thumbup:

MargeD 09-01-2011 04:01 PM

Well, I wish I had an answer for you. Men live in an alternate universe and their brains do not dwell here on earth. My husband questions many, many things I do, example, to help a friend who had started to work at Macy's but hadn't opened one new account, I opened an account at Macy's, figuring that how much damage can I do at Macy's, as they don't carry my size in clothing and they don't sell fabric. Imagine my surprise when I got the Macy's VISA good wherever VISA was honored. He asked me how I could get a credit card when he was laid off and not working, I simply told him that I was working and that shut him up. However, whenever we went anywhere, he would say, put it on your card, put Kari's (our daughte) plane flight for a job interview on your card. Then all of a sudden he says, look how much money YOU have spent. Go figure. I gave up. Men, can't live with them and can't kill them. Do not feel you have to feel that you have to justify getting a long arm, then feel like you have to pay for it by taking in quilts. Do not do it for the money unless you want to do it. I feel for you, but other than drowning him in quilts, I'm not sure what you can do. I wish you luck. If you figure out how a man's mind works, let the rest of the world know.

Jackie R 09-01-2011 04:02 PM

My husband doesn't have any hobbies, so, I do get a bit annoyed at myself for buying my hobby stuff like fabrics, patterns, etc. and then feeling a little guilty about it. My DH just doesn't understand a thing about having a hobby just for fun.

ChaiQuilter 09-01-2011 04:14 PM

My husband doesn't have any hobbies so I get the guilts when I spend for quilting, even though he doesn't resent my hobby or give me a hard time about it.

IrishNY 09-01-2011 04:34 PM

Next time he asks, tell him you'll start quilting for others when he starts charging people to go out on the boat to help pay for it. ;)

Then ignore him and go about your business.