Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-most-embarrassing-funniest-mistakes-while-quilting-sewing-t205595.html)

OKLAHOMA PEACH 11-10-2012 06:19 AM

I have made so many, its NOT funny. lol

Sunnye 11-10-2012 06:23 AM

Yep, three times!
I sewed blocks together, right side to wrong side, ripped out, sewed again the wrong way, ripped out, sewed again the wrong way.
Closed everything down, went to bed.
Started over, with ripping, the next day.

willferg 11-10-2012 07:08 AM

One time I was sewing a pair of shorts for one of my kids. I don't recall exactly how I did it because it doesn't bear thinking about too closely, but somehow I sewed side to side instead of front to back and ended up with a pair that had a huge round waist and tight skinny legs. I probably could have ripped the seams out and fixed it, but I was so mortified I tossed the whole thing. And no, it wasn't even my first time sewing shorts!

gramajo 11-10-2012 07:25 AM

My DD made a pair of elastic waist pants for herself & sewed both legs together. She had one giant leg. We still laugh about it. And yes, she is a very experienced sewer.

sandy l 11-10-2012 07:29 AM

Chain stitched 15 prs of 4 1/2" sqs together with no thread in the needle;)

justflyingin 11-10-2012 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Just Me... (Post 5647181)
somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!

Now THAT would be embarrassing!

GailG 11-10-2012 08:05 AM

somehow I stitched my shirt into a seam once....did I mention while I was TEACHING a class! Lifted up the project and up came my shirt!

Actually that was a very "teachable" moment. Students can be aware that these things happen and does not have to be a moment for panic or frustration. The best thing to do is: 1st, laugh; and second, rip.

Oops! Forgot to mention that I had many "teachable" moments in my 33 years of teaching. My most "memorable" was the day of my evaluation by the parish supervisor, I misspelled one of the spelling words on the board. I had reversed two letters. I was mortified when she quietly pointed it out to me. I quickly used the moment to point it out and had a little side lesson on that.

joyce blint 11-10-2012 08:21 AM

That had to be entertaining!

Tothill 11-10-2012 08:30 AM

Mine was not witnessed by anyone other than family.

We were heading on a trip early one morning. We had packed the night before and laid out our clothes, so we could just get dressed, brush our teeth and leave.

I pull on my pants and the button pops off. I grabbed the button and needle and thread and we left.

I sat in the car while DH drove and sewed on the button, while wearing the pants.

We got to the ferry and I undid my seat belt. Yep, I had sewed my pants to the seat belt! I had to remove the button, then resew it to my pants only before I could get out of the car.

crafty pat 11-10-2012 08:45 AM

Being so happy to be finished when clipping that last thread and cutting a hole in my quilt.