Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-most-embarrassing-funniest-mistakes-while-quilting-sewing-t205595.html)

Peckish 11-10-2012 08:50 AM

Hmmm I don't know that the right word for how I felt is "embarrassed", I guess I don't embarrass easily... but I did quilt a scrap onto the back of a small quilt I was quilting on my DSM. I laughed and showed everybody so they could chuckle, too.

Maggiemay 11-10-2012 08:58 AM

I sewed garments for years before starting to quilt. Last year I decided to make my husband a Christmas shirt. You see so many holiday shirts for women & my husband has more Christmas spirit than most 10 people put together. I was making him a black camp style shirt with a row of Christmas prints down the front. It was coming together nicely- kind of elegant, but fun & I was quite pleased with myself. I am pretty sure I even said" Wow, you still got it! " out loud! After I had trimmed the sleeve I held it up to look at & I had cut a HUGE gash through the sleeve! Brought me back down to earth pretty fast! I had to go out & buy more fabric for the sleeve.....It did come out nice & he does like it, but I still laugh at myself & my cockiness!

gramajo 11-10-2012 09:08 AM

Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? :eek: In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.

Dolphyngyrl 11-10-2012 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Toni C (Post 5647196)
Sewing blocks together one was wrong way.Did this ALMOST 3 times Same Block for goodness sake

I have totally done that.

Scraplady 11-10-2012 11:26 AM

It certainly wasn't funny at the time, but I once cut a sleeve out of my mother's tablecloth that I had failed to completely remove from the kitchen table before I started cutting. After she stopped fussing, we cut TWO blouses out, one from the fabric, and one from the kitchen tablecloth. It really was a pretty tablecloth. I smile every time I see my high school senior picture. I was wearing my mother's tablecloth. I should hunt it up and post a photo...

MarLeClair 11-10-2012 02:11 PM

Years ago I made a rather fancy dress for myself. There was a slit up the front and when I walked the sides kept flopping back. So, in all of my wisdom I decided to put weights in the bottom corners of the dress. When we went to the buffet table (after my dress attached itself to the table) I realized that not only were they weights, they were also magnets. I kept pulling my dress away from anything metal all night. I still laugh at myself for that one. You can dress me up but can't take me anywhere.

LivelyLady 11-10-2012 02:36 PM

My "duh" moment was when I had completed a handbag for myself and gave myself a big pat on the back for a job well done. I grabbed my old handbag and started putting my things into my new bag which kept making a crinkling sound every time I put my hand in it. I finally figured it out......I was out of stiff interfacing to use in the pockets so used Steam A Seam which worked well, but I forgot to take the paper backing off!! That took the wind out of my sails real quick!

willferg 11-10-2012 04:12 PM

I love your magnets story. Laughed out loud at that!

pandamommy 11-10-2012 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by gramajo (Post 5647722)
Forgot about this one until DD reminded me. I made my one and only tote bag and sewed the handles across the opening instead of up each side. Can you blame me for trying to forget about this? :eek: In my defemse. the directions for the whole bag were confusing, but this was the only part I messed up on.

I did the same thing. The directions said to stitch handles across from each other ---so that is what I did! LOL!

MamaInRed 11-10-2012 10:16 PM

Many, many years ago, long before spray basting, I had a king size quilt on a plush carpeted floor all laid out to baste it. When I got done I went to lift it up & had managed to baste to to the carpet as well. I thought I was being so careful. My mom nearly wet herself laughing at my opps moment. I went out & bought a huge cardboard cutting board after that one.