Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Our most embarrassing/funniest mistakes while quilting/sewing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/our-most-embarrassing-funniest-mistakes-while-quilting-sewing-t205595.html)

maryfrang 11-11-2012 08:08 AM

Last year I made Star Block quilts for two nun that taught me in High School (45 years ago). As I was getting them ready to mail, I noticed that one star point faced the wrong direction on both quilts. They are completed and oh well, I let them know that I am not perfect. They both loved the quilts and said it made them special.

wildyard 11-11-2012 09:21 AM

I just did this recently. After designing an original pattern, I took a new sheet of graph paper to make my working sketch on in preparation for making the first actual fabric block. Somehow, in the transition from design page to working page, I changed the pattern (a lot) by adding an extra 4.5" row all the way around it. I even cut and sewed up the block from the work sheet, and sent a photo off to a couple of friends for critiquing. I knew something was wrong, but couldn't figure out what. LOL. It just didn't look right. So I went back to the original pattern and compared to my working sheet and DUH!!! How on earth did I do that??????... So to friends I had to say, please disregard that block, lol, it is all wrong. That mistake also set me back on my project 2 whole days. grrrrrrrrrrr

chris_quilts 11-11-2012 10:18 AM

I have ripped the wrong seam sew many times, it is unbelievable to me. I also put together a 9 patch quilt and realized after all was sewed that one whole row was wrong. I can laugh now but then I wasn't laughing and even the cat knew I was upset.

newbiequilter 11-11-2012 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by MaryStoaks (Post 5647263)
I made a quilt for my DILs mother who is a friend of mine. The day I gave it to her (it was a suprize ) her mother was here with her. She was thrilled! As she spread it out on my sofa to see the whole quilt I noticed that I had sewn one side of the binding on backwards! I was so embaressed and said I would fix it. She said I shouldn't change a thing! She loved it as it was. Now I see it every time I go to her house.:p

What a good friend she is. You must appreciate that she wanted her quilt just as it was given to her. :-)

newbiequilter 11-11-2012 11:45 AM

My "oops" moment was not exactly a sewing one. I had been using my "2nd" machine for a while at home and went out to sew with a group - I took my "1st" machine with me. It was not a morning of great clarity anyway and I needed to change my bobbin.....talking to someone and dropped the bobbin on the floor. Found it and said "darn - where is my bobbin case?" We all looked for it. Frustrated, I went to the dealer to purchase a new one and was told they would have to order it....loooonnnnnggggg story short - there is NO bobbin case for my 1st machine and this story has been the subject of much mirth and merriment with my friends. The only thing that makes me feel better about it all is that the clerk at the dealer did not know either!

MarLeClair 11-11-2012 01:12 PM

rekug,
I laughed myself stupid with that one. Too funny.

sulyle 11-11-2012 02:55 PM

I sewed my applique to my skirt during a class. Not just a little, but one whole design. I laugh now but I wasn't laughing at the time, although the teacher was.

nstitches4u 11-11-2012 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by MarLeClair (Post 5648110)
Years ago I made a rather fancy dress for myself. There was a slit up the front and when I walked the sides kept flopping back. So, in all of my wisdom I decided to put weights in the bottom corners of the dress. When we went to the buffet table (after my dress attached itself to the table) I realized that not only were they weights, they were also magnets. I kept pulling my dress away from anything metal all night. I still laugh at myself for that one. You can dress me up but can't take me anywhere.

I think you win the prize, Marilyn. Thanks for the chuckle.

nstitches4u 11-11-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by rekrug (Post 5649408)
LOL! Loved these! I have a good one. Newly married and still in school (aka broke), my husband was working for a furniture company. He would bring left over chintz/cotton fabric home that was appropriate for me to make dresses, etc. (I was student teaching, and needed to look professional on a dime.) Low and behold, we go to a house design open house, (a rather dressy affair), and I am standing there, matching the sofa. I stayed in the kitchen. LOL

These just keep getting funnier. lol

quiltingme 11-11-2012 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 5647690)
Being so happy to be finished when clipping that last thread and cutting a hole in my quilt.

Been there; done that; feel your pain!