Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Quilts and colors (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/quilts-colors-t90113.html)

GloBug 01-14-2011 10:29 AM

At 60+ I no longer care much if it matches,I live in my home, it's not a showcase. :D

Happy Treadler 01-14-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ArtisticDesign
Actually I think you having a home base of neutrals is a positive..

I've always read to do a neutral 'base', and then you can add or change colors easily with curtains, pillows, etc. instead of painting walls a specific color. That's what we did in our new house. Our entire house (other than the kids rooms) are painted "latte" and it's very neutral.

Typically my 'normal' colors have been more outdoorsy colors, like the greens, browns, burgundy, gold, etc. Wouldn't I just shock everyone if I changed everything up?

I'm thinking a nice purple. Yeah, that would show 'em! ha ha They'd definitely think I'd be going through some kind of mid-life crisis.

bammy1 01-14-2011 11:02 AM

I've attempted to keep a "color scheme" throughout the house...but my next major project is a wall hanging that will not go with the rest of the house...it will hang in the living room anyway! I'm learning, as a new quilter, that my quilts are more important to me than the colors in the room! Freedom!

cmilton 01-14-2011 11:23 AM

It is Art. It doesn't have to "match" . It makes it's own statement.

kwiltnutt 01-14-2011 11:24 AM

The heck with "matchy"................you need punches of colour to spice things up. JMHO :)

bjnicholson 01-14-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)

I like your thinking :thumbup:

jean knapp 01-14-2011 11:45 AM

I also say heck to proper. One daughter has a pea green walls beighe couch brown curtains a red table and a black table and white pic frams. Somehow it looks great and I always say if you are happy thats what counts.

Scrap Happy 01-14-2011 12:11 PM

It's your quilt and your home so do what makes you happy! The fashion police will be in such awe of your quilt they won't notice if it doesn't match anyway LOL! It will add so much to the room it is in no matter what.

zyxquilts 01-14-2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Happy Treadler
OK, my SIL gave me a complex last night. I'm working on a more brightly-colored table topper than I usually do (always make browns, tans, golds, etc.), and when I showed it to her she said "Oh, it's nice but it doesn't match anything in your house". I said I could put it in my sewing room, and she looked at me like I was nuts.

I'm wondering, is it 'proper' to add quilts to your home that don't necessarily 'go' with your color scheme? I'm not talkin' total chaos, but a table runner or coasters and such. Is there some sort of rule that I should be following that I should maybe add at least a color that matches?

I'm curious (and a bit paranoid),
Trna

I read an art book once, that was all about keeping art classes in schools. In his forward, the artist/author said something to effect of: "If you think your artwork should match your furniture, may I suggest that you buy a second couch, exactly like the first one, and mount it on the wall above it."
I say that if it doesn't go with anything, then it must go with everything!!! :D

G'ma Kay 01-14-2011 12:25 PM

very little in my house "matches"