Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   recycled/repurposed Denim projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/recycled-repurposed-denim-projects-t102015.html)

BKrenning 03-25-2011 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also did a faux cathedral windows from the equilter.com link posted previously. I made it from hubby's old jeans and work shirts. I also put scraps of batting in mine to make it heavier. He likes to feel the weight of a quilt on his legs.

I'm planning to make more for the grandkids to use as floor mats/nap mats. I'm going to zig zag the arcs down on the front of them and use flannel for the "windows". I probably won't put batting in them. I'm also going to whip out a raggy shaggy one with pink flannel alternated front & back for a great niece due in July. Her parents could wreck a crow bar in a sandbox so she will need something sturdier (and less of my hard work) than I normally give for baby quilts.

Raggy Denim Cathedral Windows
[ATTACH=CONFIG]175019[/ATTACH]

quevaca7 03-26-2011 05:38 AM

Love this, I think this will have to be one of my next projects. :-o

melodyr 03-26-2011 06:03 AM

Wow! I love this too!

running1 03-26-2011 06:37 AM

Beverly in Missouri... I love your quilt! Did you zig-zag the edges down? I looked up a tutorial on making this quilt and those are the instructions... but I'm wondering if you could simply sew a straight stitch about 3/8" (or more?) from the edge of each circle and let it fray as it's washed? A raw-edge applique' technique, sort of...
What do you think quilting friends??

oksewglad 03-26-2011 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by running1
Beverly in Missouri... I love your quilt! Did you zig-zag the edges down? I looked up a tutorial on making this quilt and those are the instructions... but I'm wondering if you could simply sew a straight stitch about 3/8" (or more?) from the edge of each circle and let it fray as it's washed? A raw-edge applique' technique, sort of...

I think so, too. If you have a straight stretch stitch (one that goes 2 st forward and 1 st back) this would be a stronger seam on the denim and fraying would stop at a very hard sewn edge. I use it when I sew denim squares together.

Scrap Happy 03-26-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BKrenning
I also did a faux cathedral windows from the equilter.com link posted previously. I made it from hubby's old jeans and work shirts. I also put scraps of batting in mine to make it heavier. He likes to feel the weight of a quilt on his legs.

I'm planning to make more for the grandkids to use as floor mats/nap mats. I'm going to zig zag the arcs down on the front of them and use flannel for the "windows". I probably won't put batting in them. I'm also going to whip out a raggy shaggy one with pink flannel alternated front & back for a great niece due in July. Her parents could wreck a crow bar in a sandbox so she will need something sturdier (and less of my hard work) than I normally give for baby quilts.

Beautiful!! Love this quilt.

running1 03-26-2011 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad

Originally Posted by running1

I think so, too. If you have a straight stretch stitch (one that goes 2 st forward and 1 st back) this would be a stronger seam on the denim and fraying would stop at a very hard sewn edge. I use it when I sew denim squares together.

Oh yes! good to know... I hadn't thought of that! Thank you!!

Rntraveler 03-26-2011 09:29 AM

That is so pretty and when I think how much work goes into a Cathedral window quilt.... wow.. great job..

elsiervquilter 03-26-2011 09:31 AM

Love it, love it!

mhuskins1 03-26-2011 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
old jeans and capri's