Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Should I start quilting club back up??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/should-i-start-quilting-club-back-up-t104038.html)

Dkm 03-02-2011 09:06 AM

These groups are wonderful and if you can find some newbies it's even better. This is what got me started. A few unspoken rules were in place. If you wanted to help someone, you did. Everyone was responsible for their own lunch. We each brought a project to work on and that was ours to take care of and manage. We also met at the extension office. This would be a great place for you or even at a church. Everyone would be responsible for cleanup, or take turns with that. I admire you for even considering this again. There is nothing wrong with making rules for everyone to follow. The down side is getting everyone to follow them. LOL

VaNella 03-02-2011 09:07 AM

I used to have a crochet group in my home but I had to quit because the ladies had so much fun they overstayed their welcome. Hints about time to leave fell on deaf ears. These sessions became marathons, leaving me stressed about everything else I had on my to-do list. So I agree, a place where everyone is responsible for their own work, lunch and exit is the best.

jdeery 03-02-2011 09:27 AM

I would suggest to hold it once a month, and ask
for them to each sign up for one month, that way
it wouldn't be alot for anyone.

jdeery 03-02-2011 09:28 AM

I would suggest to hold it once a month, and ask
for them to each sign up for one month, that way
it wouldn't be alot for anyone. Also I would do
either pot luck, or brown bag it for everyone, and
say the host just supplies the beverages, and
their place, if someone doesn't have a good place
they can maybe help host with another person.

rexie 03-02-2011 09:42 AM

I agree with looking for a neutral location and then everyone could bring a small dish for potluck. Wouldn't be put all on one person and you wouldn't have to do all the clean u-p. Definetely have some guidelines and rules or make by-laws like a guild would do. I would definetely like to know how it turns out for you. Sounds fun...kind of.

MNM 03-02-2011 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Not unless the location rotates so that you don't have all the cleanup!

Ditto!!! That is the fair way to do it. No one is stuck all the time even if you don't mind doing it .

MNM

#1piecemaker 03-02-2011 09:56 AM

You all have had some good points to make on this issue. I think I'll try again but with some guidelines and rules. I dearly love this group of ladies. (each one is unique in their own way) But, I do think I'll wait a bit longer and enjoy a little more quiet time. Thanks for all the suggestions and input. There has to be a happy medium here so we can get the JOY back in the group.

Crafty Chick 03-02-2011 10:14 AM

I think a sewing group would be wonderful-but rules need to be set up front to prevent what happened to you. I like the idea of meeting in someone's home (more personal touch) but it should rotate and to keep it simple-whoever has the meeting that month is responsible for a simple lunch that could be made ahead of time. If anyone has special needs, they need to bring it. Of course, it should go without saying-these are grown women and everyone should pitch in and help clean up before leaving. Everyone should sign up for a month and if for some unforeseen reason they cannot have it that month, it would be their responsibility to find someone to swap with them.

carla m 03-02-2011 10:39 AM

we have a sewing group where i live we do it at my mil's house
house because she has an entire house to quilt in. we can leave our stuff and its not in the way if we want or take it home. we all help each other and people come and go we bring our own refreshments or the most part although if someone gets thirsty
theres drinks available. we get alot done and learn new stuff.
we get alot of girl time as well. we all have different personalities but that makes us what we are and were all different ages but were all friends and it works.
carla

Grandma Peg 03-02-2011 10:52 AM

Agree with most of the ladies that some guidelines have to be set down. Maybe use a room at the library or church and meet there. If there is a little resturant or cafe have lunch there, then no problem as to whose turn it is. Hope it works out for you.